What Should IPVM Show / Feature In Its ISC West Booth?

JH
John Honovich
Mar 12, 2018
IPVM

Leaving aside recommendations for a dunk tank or a dartboard, what do you think IPVM should show / feature in its ISC West booth?

We do not have any particular goals for the booth. We are big and old enough at this point that it makes sense to have at least a small physical presence.

But I am curious what you all would consider most useful in the booth. Vote in the poll and comment inside. Thanks.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Mar 12, 2018

A large sign that says "Research exhibitors here, learn about product strengths, security exploits, company financials and more."

Then have 3 or 4 kiosks where people can search IPVM for their manufacturer of choice. Might want to also have a take-a-number thing for when lines get long.

Another idea if you really want to do some kind of printed material would be to print up the manufacturer revenue directly with updated short blurbs about each company.

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Mar 12, 2018
IPVM

Then have 3 or 4 kiosks where people can search IPVM for their manufacturer of choice. Might want to also have a take-a-number thing for when lines get long.

#1, do you think people will actually want to use / search IPVM's site during the show? I have never considered that but I could just be way off. My assumption would be that people would be busy and would not want to waste time reading a website at a trade show. Thoughts?

(3)
U
Undisclosed #1
Mar 12, 2018

I suspect many people at the show are not fully aware of exactly what IPVM offers. Giving people an ability to fact-check various manufacturers and get additional perspective on products or statements could make it "click".

Assuming the booth would also be staffed with some IPVM employees that can offer additional answers or insight (or help with searches) could attract a good amount of buzz overall.

(5)
JH
John Honovich
Mar 12, 2018
IPVM

And that's one thing I am curious myself - what is the percentage of non-IPVM members vs members coming to our booth. I assume most members are not going to be interested in reading IPVM inside the booth.

But, to your point, for people who are not aware of IPVM, letting them see it up-close and unrestricted, could be quite useful.

(4)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Mar 16, 2018

What about show off the camera calculator and point out that it's included in the membership?  The value of this should not be discounted.  You would not believe how many people design camera systems using nothing more than "industry experience".

(1)
Campbell Chang
Mar 12, 2018

You don't need much at all.

Your product is here and it's web based.

Give new leads a months free sub to check it out. Maybe you want to hold a win a years subscription name in a hat competition

The existing members would probably just relish a chance to meet you all.

(5)
(1)
UI
Mar 16, 2018

Your product is here and it's web based.

Give new leads a months free sub to check it out. Maybe you want to hold a win a years subscription name in a hat competition

Yes, but people are lazy checking anything out new if it requires much effort on their part, particularly some of the relics in our industry.  I have sent out my 1 month invitations to several of my coworkers.  I have hae one promising apprentice use it, one subcontractor, and one foreman that aspires to be a project manager.  Everyone else has never even looked.  2 years later and I still have one unaccepted invite. 

Mike Dotson
Mar 12, 2018
Formerly of Seneca • IPVMU Certified

Be sure to highlight your 'independent' point of view (like Consumer Reports).   Many of the discussions/reports on IPVM are very useful to help determine if something is exaggerated or really operational (or not).   

(4)
Sean Nelson
Mar 12, 2018
Nelly's Security

I definitely think you should have one monitor showing how your calculator works with free demo's upon request. I never use it but Im sure it would be super popular among integrators.

Maybe 3 other monitors. One showing the main blog page and another showing, one showing the discussion page (perhaps you can use one monitor for this) Just an endless loop video showing the various aspects. Then dedicate a monitor to the tests that you put on. Then have a large headline above all the monitors "#1 Leading Source of Online News etc etc etc"

I would also suggest giving away free 1 month memberships and make the month following the show your strongest month yet.

If you plan on doing on floor interviews of various exhibitors, it would be great if you can find a way to pipe a live feed to one of your monitors and perhaps continually play it back after the interviews are done.

(3)
JH
John Honovich
Mar 12, 2018
IPVM

Sean, that's good feedback! But since I am the only IPVM employee, how do you expect us to do all that :)

Question - do you ever share the Caclulator with your dealers? It's free now for up to 4 cameras and we'll list any camera model. It could be good for you.

We'll think about the monitors. There's physical space restriction. Also, I am trying to figure out how much the booth should be oriented to non-members vs members.

UI
Mar 16, 2018

I am trying to figure out how much the booth should be oriented to non-members vs members

Non-members should be the focus IMO.  Members know the value.  Many have heard of IPVM but do not understand the value.

RS
Robert Shih
Mar 12, 2018
Independent

Booth babes! </joking>

*PSSST!* Hacking competition, maybe? As to the argument of not enough skilled hackers, my counter: No winner, no payout, and IPVM keeps the loot (whatever it may be).

I like the pwn2own model. For example, maybe make the new 8K Ultra Starlight Box camera that you guys get to test as one of the hacking victims... *drool* might not be secure if you can hack it and win it, but could be a very nice toy to play with.

I'd eliminate the physical access portion of the competition and maybe have a laptop set up with a few tools to let the contestants take a crack at it, just to keep it inclusive.

Of course, allow the heavy hitters to hook up their own thing rigs and see where they can go.

Newest firmwares only would be the fair way to go about it.

I know I'm pushing this idea hard, but it would totally be something fun for the show. It would also be a great way to dome something about your equipment stockpile?

Edit: Also, Bashis is only allowed to play on the last day if no one else wins it :P

(3)
JH
John Honovich
Mar 12, 2018
IPVM

Robert, the hacking competition would be neat. It's just too many directions at once. We'd want to properly organize it but we can't with other things to do and a questionable amount of people who would participate in on-site hacking.

Michael Silva
Mar 12, 2018
Silva Consultants

I suspect that you will get a lot of traffic from the manufacturers themselves - asking you to include their products in your reviews, change the results of reviews that you have already done, etc.

During the five year stint that I was with Kroll, I worked our booth at ASIS several times. We were deluged with manufacturers trying to get us to specify their products, as well as friends of the original company founder, Jules Kroll, who just wanted us to tell tell Jules "hi" for them. (Jules was no longer involved with the company on a day-to-day basis, and like most of the 5,000 employees of the company, I had never met Jules personally.)

I can't ever recall a legitimate lead for consulting services coming from our booth and we eventually decided that spending $30,000+ to give vendors an opportunity to sell to us wasn't worth it.

(3)
(2)
JH
John Honovich
Mar 12, 2018
IPVM

Michael, lol! 

I think the manufacturers like Kroll better than us :) I don't know what the manufacturer traffic to our booth will be like. If our online communication is any representative, we do not get a lot of manufacturer pitches anymore as almost all understand we are rarely responsive to the normal dumb pitch (we are responsive if something is novel but that's less common).

Our booth cost is only $3,300 and even with expenses added it, it's still pretty inexpensive. Also, note - not looking for nor soliciting leads with the booth, more interested in general brand building / interacting with people.

(1)
Michael Budalich
Mar 13, 2018
Genetec

Create an ISC West show quiz with 25 questions from all facets of the industry and give away Gold, Silver, and Bronze medals to the top 3 scorers of the 3 day contest. At the end of the show on the last day have a ceremony to announce the highest scores in the IPVM ISC West Industry Knowledge Challenge. Create a scoreboard with IPVM logo on a large monitor throughout the entire show and keep updating it with the high scores and the participants names.

Prizes:

Gold: Free Year membership and name on IPVM.com/ISCWestTriviaContest as first annual winner (update this every year moving forward)

Silver: Free 6 months

Bronze: Free 3 months.

The questions need to be tough so that getting 100% is almost impossible. I think you guys can do it!

(4)
Armando Perez
Mar 16, 2018
Hoosier Security and Security Owners Group • IPVMU Certified

Meet and greet for members.

Definitely have some documentation on your training

Demo the design tool

Code for one free month on a biz card.

Hand out Hik/Dahua OEM guides on glossy paper, lol.

An anonymous way to measure peoples true feelings on hik.

Downloadable interactive show map with links to articles on tests and reports from each manufacturer when you click on their booth.

And of course, free Chinese candy.

(3)
(4)
UI
Mar 16, 2018

Give out IPVM lanyards again.  If they give me another Hik lanyard on entry this year I will find the first booth giving away lanyards that I don’t mind wearing.

U
Undisclosed #3
Mar 18, 2018
IPVMU Certified

(2)
(1)
(11)
UE
Undisclosed End User #5
Mar 20, 2018

The "security robots" may also line up to dunk John.  After all the fun IPVM and others had at their watery expense. <SMILE>

U
Undisclosed #3
Mar 20, 2018
IPVMU Certified

The "security robots" may also line up to dunk John...

Yes, that’s the idea;)

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #4
Mar 20, 2018

BOOTH BABES OF COURSE!  :oD

</irony>

(4)
UE
Undisclosed End User #5
Mar 20, 2018

The Camera Calculator should be a strong feature in the booth. 

I fully agree with the Previous UD#1 that said have kiosks available to search products. 

(1)
Bryan Buenaventura
Mar 20, 2018
www.dynamic-certified.org

I think you should bypass the fixed 10x10 location and that the IPVM "booth" should be a mobile show in which you guys drive around educating the public (and show manufacturers) on the 'real truth' behind some of their product technologies.

(Favorite stops: Any booth using 125Khz LF or Wiegand Readers... and HIK of course!)

This IPVM Mobile Booth might need Level 8 Bulletproof Armor with Neverflat Tires though! 

JH
John Honovich
Mar 20, 2018
IPVM

Bryan, lol!

When I went to CES this year, I noticed how CNET (I think) arranged tours of booths for attendees. I never thought about IPVM doing something like that but it could be interesting and useful for some. We are definitely not going to do it this year since we are busy but it's definitely something to consider for 2019.

Bryan Buenaventura
Mar 20, 2018
www.dynamic-certified.org

Whenever you decide to- I'd love to help! Just let me know... you guys have all my info.

SB
Steven Burman
Mar 20, 2018

No holds barred cage match between senior personnel from HIK and IPVM. 

(2)
DL
David Lieberman
Mar 21, 2018
IPVMU Certified

I voted "Other". I think the classes are excellent. They've certainly been very beneficial for me -- even after 25+ years in corporate security.

Having said that, the calculator and testing are both important, as well.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions