What Scissors / Snips Do You Prefer?

John Scanlan
Mar 07, 2017
IPVM • IPVMU Certified

In a recent discussion scissor / snip form factor came up. I am curious to hear what you prefer: a specific style or brand , or just cheap because they get replaced often.

The main three that we discussed are below.

Electrician Scissor:

Datacom Snip:

D-Ring Snip:

Which one of these do you prefer? Or something else entirely?

(1)
Ari Erenthal
Mar 07, 2017

I like the electrician's scissors. Never really liked the other styles. 

jo
jason oneal
Mar 07, 2017

I like the D-Ring Snips.

NS
Nick Salandra
Mar 07, 2017
IPVMU Certified

This is my favorite.  Klein Tools flush cutter.

(4)
(3)
Joseph Marotta
Mar 08, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I have a few electrician scissors (snips) from my days at the telephone company.  Fine for 24 AWG wire but once the conductors get too big, a pair of lineman's pliers does the trick for me.

(1)
Joseph Marotta
Mar 08, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Caveat, I never had the opportunity to try out the other two choices.

MC
Marty Calhoun
Mar 08, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Is anyone running out of topics?

(1)
(4)
John Scanlan
Mar 08, 2017
IPVM • IPVMU Certified

Having the most efficient, most comfortable, easiest to use, or cheapest tools is important to some members, so we write about it.

This discussion is thematic and inline with our other install related reports / discussions, like selecting ladders, everyday carry, lifts, BYOD?, radio communications and others.

(2)
(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Mar 09, 2017
(1)
Ari Erenthal
Mar 09, 2017

Hopefully somebody found that useful. 

Kyle Folger
Mar 09, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I found it useful. I'm wearing my Duluth pants right now.

(1)
(1)
BT
Brian Tally
Mar 08, 2017

I have all of them in my tool box, and I prefer the D-Ring style for snips.

When cutting zip ties the Klein flush cuts are a must, and they should be an industry standard. If you have ever been wounded by a sharply cut zip tie you probably know that using snips on zip ties is EVIL.

(1)
Ari Erenthal
Mar 08, 2017

That's why you should turn you tie wraps inward, because the person that usually gets slashed by a sharp tie wrap edge is usually you, servicing a job you installed half a decade ago.

Ethan Ace
Mar 08, 2017

What do you mean turn them inward? So the cut end is pointed into the cable bundle?

Ari Erenthal
Mar 08, 2017

Either towards the bundler, or towards the wall/ceiling, depending on your application. 

Kyle Folger
Mar 09, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I used to use the flush cuts for zip ties, but I tend to just use side cuts for zip ties after the blades broke on the flush cuts. If in confined spaces such as racks where you might get cut by a zip tip, I like using velcro wrap. 

Kyle Folger
Mar 09, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I have the D-Ring Snip. They work well. If I'm doing a lot of Cat cable I will use this to strip the outer jacket. I've gone back and forth between various cutting and stripping tools and find them all usable.

I also have the flush cuts listed below. I only use those for cutting the solder spike on a board or excess solder on and audio termination. I will also use the flush cuts on the heat shrink tubing and and small wires.

(1)
Harrison Mitchell
Mar 09, 2017
(2)
Guillaume Poirier
Mar 14, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I personally tried multiple type and brand. My favourite is by far the Fluke Networks D-Snips - cable scissors. Mfg. Part: 44300000. They are a bit more expensive, and take a bit of time to get use to, but after a while they just fit like a glove, and the cutting power is increadible... you can cut four CAT6 easily in one shot!

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions