Vote - What Camera Scenario Would You Most Like To See Tested?

Ethan Ace
Sep 11, 2017

We are planning on testing some real world scenarios (such as updates to our Parking Lot Shootout) and want your input on what you want to see. Vote now on which you would like to see most. Something missing? Let us know in the comments below.

U
Undisclosed #1
Sep 11, 2017

Building lobby... the scenario that most often calls for good WDR performance.

(2)
(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Sep 11, 2017

Fence....outdoor perimeter protection..

(1)
JE
Jim Elder
Sep 11, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Figure a way to compare image quality based on some kind of scale and make the test so it can be reproduced by someone in the field.  For example,  pick a corridor with known light condition, Target, etc and use comparatively priced cameras. Conduct a series of tests under varying light conditions and/or camera settings and provide a scoring matrix. 

Using the "Wisdom of the Crowd"  ask the membership to use their own personal experience and judgement to assign a value to the image using Johnson (or similar) image evaluation labels and suggest guidelines for making this evaluation (i.e. monitor resolution, digital zoom, etc).  Do not post images (or clips) with manufacturer's names or model numbers shown or anything in the image that would identify the product.  You could post all images and ask for scores as to which is the "best" image for each of the Johnson labels. Maybe post two  images at a time, allowing the highest scoring image to remain to be compared to the next and so on. In this way, the reviewers need only look at two images at a time; or you could do it in one post.   

There are also issues related to shutter speed and other settings which you (the experts) have to figure out. You may even want to run the test setup past the manufacturers to see what they think. Heck, even solicit them for a vote. 

The idea here is to provide something that one can relate to.  Camera A may give only an observation level view under low lighting condition, but an identification level under another. So we may select it for certain conditions, but not others.     Also, this is only one part of the comparison (albeit in my view, the most important). You could also score other items such as cost, warranty, support, etc.        

I have used similar methods to evaluate bid proposals with good success in quantifying those subjective things such as quality of service, comparative projects and technical employee skill levels. 

I know folks who would join IPVM, just to see the results (assuming your lawyers will  permit it) 

(1)
(2)
CB
Clayton Burnett
Sep 12, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Parking lot - would love to see some tests (Axis especially) of low light performance vs utilizing IR. 

(4)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #3
Sep 12, 2017

Video capture of Sasquatch. 

(1)
(1)
(2)
U
Undisclosed #5
Sep 12, 2017

How weird I just mentioned Bigfoot in the Sony vs Axis shootout and then I check this thread and someone else is mentioning Sasquatch.

(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #3
Sep 13, 2017

Bad dad joke inception!

Mike Dotson
Sep 12, 2017
Formerly of Seneca • IPVMU Certified

In the tests, I suggest using a few cams that have the Smart Codecs and or H265.  This will present a 'feel' for how the magnitude of the motion affects the bitrate for the different scenes on the different cams.

We already know that they like the static views best based on testing done here.

(2)
DG
Donald Gordon
Sep 14, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I agree with Mike.  I would really like to see testing with panoramic multi-imager cameras and the bandwidth consumed using the H.264 and H.265 advanced Codecs.  We are beginning to use many of these cameras in places where we might have previously fielded several bullet cameras.  Our experience with the multi-imager cameras is they will cover a wide field of view (180 degrees) with good range for depth of field.  I would suggest a very large parking lot or open field (football field size or larger).

(2)
CC
Chris Clarke
Sep 12, 2017

I think with many new solutions being proposed for fence-line detection I would like to see something comparing effectiveness of certain solutions like microwave, radar, thermal/analytics etc.

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #4
Sep 12, 2017

Can we add "Open Parking Lot" to the Parking Lot testing?

Most analytics I have a  ran into have a hard time distinguishing the difference between shadows and actual objects. This seems to be most pronounced in open area settings like open parking lots. 

(1)
U
Undisclosed #5
Sep 12, 2017

The camera used on the robots at Fukushima.

(1)
(1)
OV
Omar Valdemar
Sep 14, 2017

ATM - camera and lens - consider size, lighting and FOV to capture as much activity as possible to analyze skimming issues

(1)
Franky Lam
Sep 19, 2017
Zen Foods Group

But difference country has difference requirement, it is hard to use one demonstration for all cases.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions