What Is With This Door Knob? Is It Against Code?

JH
John Honovich
Apr 14, 2014
IPVM

I saw this in a parking structure today:

It's really hard to turn the door knob and I can imagine that anyone with disabilities would find it very challenging. It's not just that it's a knob, it's the circular enclosure around it.

Is this against code? I presume it is.

Why are they doing this? Is it a security measure to make it hard to break in?

SW
Steven Wirz
Apr 14, 2014

I presume this is to prevent entry. It is very easy, with a 3 lb. slege hammer to smak the doorknob off, shove a screwdriver into the center shoving out the shaft and pulling the locking assy. to open the door. Code? I'd think not.

Brian Rhodes
Apr 14, 2014
IPVMU Certified

My guess:

The escutcheon around the knob is there to keep vandals from smacking the knob lock off the door with a sledge hammer or sticking a piece of pipe over the knob and prying it until it breaks open.

If it is an egress door, it absolutely is against code. If it is a storage closet, it probably isn't.

JH
John Honovich
Apr 14, 2014
IPVM

The door is to a stairwell leading from the 2nd to 1st floor. Presumably, one could always walk down the vehicle ramp.

Michael Silva
Apr 14, 2014
Silva Consultants

John,

This looks like some version of a "knob guard", possibly home-made. These are typically installed on gates where it is possible to reach through the gate opening from the outside to operate the knob or lever. If you install a knob guard, it makes it a little harder to reach over or through the gate to grab the knob. Unless your door is right next to a gate or fence, I don't think that this is the purpose of the guard here however.

A fairly common burglary technique is to use a large pipe wrench on cylindrical locks such as these. This creates a tremendous amount of torque on the lock body and the door usually pops right open. I suppose that this ring would proviode some degree of protection against this type of attack.

GC
Greg Cortina
Apr 14, 2014

Seen it before. Attempts to prevent someone with a pipe wrench twisting the entire lock to gain access.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions