What's In Your Everyday Carry Tool Bag/Belt?

John Scanlan
Nov 03, 2016
IPVM • IPVMU Certified

When you're doing install, what tools do you carry with you at all times? Do you carry the bare minimum in a tool pouch or come prepared for everything with a big tote? Or somewhere in between?

Ethan Ace
Nov 03, 2016

I used to carry the bare minimum. 10-in-1 screwdriver, tiny tweaker screwdriver, Sharpie, and a pair of snips. Depending on what I was doing, I'd either have a punch tool or a crimper or a wire stripper, also.

I knew one guy who rolled a toolbox around with him everywhere he went. He was always prepared, it's true, but lugging it around just seemed crazy to me. He had a reciprocating saw with him even on days he'd just be punching down jacks. It was nuts.

(1)
(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Nov 03, 2016
IPVMU Certified

The kid probably had a pencil box in grade school.

(1)
MB
Matt Bischof
Nov 03, 2016

Oscilloscope, crucifix, spot monitor, holy water, multimeter, young priest, RJ45 tool, old priest, BNC crimp tool, mint condition complete set of 1989 Fleer baseballs cards, coaxial jumpers, Harry Caray nude portrait, cable toner, spare 2-piece BNCs, spare RJ45s, transistor radio permanently tuned to NPR, laptop w/ POE passthru, Gore Vidal bobblehead, Dolphin waterproof beanie crimps, novelty foam finger, lineman pliers, the antidote, wire strippers, lock of Kathy Bates' hair, spare 12VDC & 24VAC transformers... give or take.

Just kidding! No way am oscilloscope would fit in that bag.

(2)
(7)
MB
Matt Bischof
Nov 03, 2016

Oh, screwdriver set, as well as a reversible tweaker. Forgot those.

Sorry.

MB
Matt Bischof
Nov 03, 2016

On a serious note, despite being a salesman, I travel everywhere with a really nice rolling toolbox that's about 38"x18"x12" with a telescoping handle... everything I'd ever need is in there.

Ari Erenthal
Nov 03, 2016
Chesapeake & Midlantic
(2)
(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Nov 04, 2016

And while riding the train or hitch hiking.

Ari Erenthal
Nov 04, 2016
Chesapeake & Midlantic

Well, that's why I was limited to what would fit in my pockets.

(1)
MC
Marty Calhoun
Nov 03, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Service Video systems:

We supply every technician with the following devices and tools:

24 volt Dewalt Hammer drill,Wire Nippers (Whia 5 1/2"), Triplett 8071, ACT 612 meter, Fluke meter, Laptop, RJ-45 unions and loose cables, 4-port POE switch, and a tweaker. Most things get repaired with these items.

Alarms and Access: a shitload of various tools and parts always

(2)
(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Nov 04, 2016
IPVMU Certified

24 volt Dewalt Hammer drill,Wire Nippers (Whia 5 1/2"), Triplett 8071, ACT 612 meter, Fluke meter, Laptop, RJ-45 unions and loose cables, 4-port POE switch, and a tweaker. Most things get repaired with these items.

btw, we got rid all of our tweakers and found that things get repaired way quicker...

(3)
Hal Bennick
Nov 05, 2016
Trafficware, a CUBIC Company

...but they always boll out 40 hours by Tuesday.

(2)
U
Undisclosed #1
Nov 06, 2016
IPVMU Certified

True that.

Of course, its no fun when the client objects and you have to back out the hours. AKA the reversible tweaker.

Ari Erenthal
Nov 04, 2016
Chesapeake & Midlantic

What's a tweaker?

(2)
Ethan Ace
Nov 04, 2016

Something used to tweak stuff.

(1)
(2)
(2)
Brian Rhodes
Nov 04, 2016
IPVMU Certified

In the security world, I've heard it used to describe a small flathead screwdriver used for stuff like 'tweaking' connectors.

In common use, a 'tweaker' is someone using crystal meth. They stay up for days at a time, doing stuff like mowing the lawn in a t-shirt when snow is on the ground, or they take apart the family minivan into individual pieces to 'find out where the gopher is hiding', and drug-addled delusions like that.

(1)
(2)
(6)
U
Undisclosed #1
Nov 04, 2016
IPVMU Certified

...or they take apart the family minivan into individual pieces...

To clarify, this is the kind of tweaker to I meant to get rid of. I love the screwdrivers.

Brian Rhodes
Nov 04, 2016
IPVMU Certified

The neighborhood I grew up in had a fair amount of tweakers. Just don't look em in the eyes, and keep on walking.

(1)
(2)
Ari Erenthal
Nov 04, 2016
Chesapeake & Midlantic

Long ago, before I was born, alarm installers used plugs from a TV antenna manufacturer called Mosley Electronics as quick disconnects for wiring up windows. The plug has a tiny flathead screw, so the screwdriver ended up being called a Mosley screwdriver. But I've never heard anyone outside of New York or New Jersey calling it a Mosley, so I just called it a mini screwdriver in my list.

(1)
Ethan Ace
Nov 04, 2016

Just kidding, I meant it in the sense of the small screwdrivers, often flat but sometimes reversible with Phillips, that manufacturers handed out as swag so often.

I remember some audio manufacturers sending them with their gear because the controls were recessed slotted dials, which you needed a very small screwdriver to access. That's how I ended up with with most of mine anyway.

Brian Rhodes
Nov 04, 2016
IPVMU Certified

A general observation I've seen on countless jobs: the best techs have the smallest load-outs.

I don't know why this is. You'd think the tech with the most tools would be best prepared for anything. But I've worked with experienced techs that carry little more than a bitdriver, lineman pliers, pocket knife, and a connection crimper, and they work the best and fastest of anyone.

(1)
(1)
Brian Karas
Nov 07, 2016
IPVM

I think it's helpful to have a service kit/bag with the minimal and most common items, but have the "rest of your stuff" back in the car/truck/van.

When I did field service for IBM many many years ago most of the guys carried these 50lb tool briefcases with a million rarely used tools. I had a small zipper bag with about 10 tools in it (multi-driver, needlenose pliers, long forceps, meter, etc.) that handled 90+% of the basics. If something could not be fixed, or least diagnosed with what was in that bag, it was going to be a complex job with trips for parts/etc. anyways, and then I could bring additional tools out of my car if needed.

I got a lot of flak from the others at first, and then more guys started paring down their kits.

(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #4
Nov 07, 2016

The same goes for sales demo kits. Tailor your demo for the customer - you probably don't need every single product you carry.

I like the Seahorse SE830 Case http://www.seahorse-cases.com/se-830.htm . It's sized to be a carry-on, and you can fit two layers of demo stuff in there. While it's happened a time or two, it is very rare that I need more space.

Brian Karas
Nov 07, 2016
IPVM

Have not heard of Seahorse before, looks like it is the same concept as Pelican cases?

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #4
Nov 07, 2016

Yup, it's Pelican but like 30-40% cheaper.

GC
Greg Cortina
Nov 04, 2016

I used to walk in to service alarms with a screwdriver, wire strippers and a great meter. The best tool I brought with me was the ability to quiz the customer. Most times they would provide the clue on even the most difficult calls.

(3)
Ari Erenthal
Nov 04, 2016
Chesapeake & Midlantic

That sounds like something my dad would say. He walks in to service calls with a flashlight, a Leatherman, and some electric tape, and always says the only tools you really need to bring with you is your brain and your common sense.

(3)
Ethan Ace
Nov 04, 2016

Minus ten points for the first mention of a non-tool "tool." Booooooooooo.

(2)
GC
Greg Cortina
Nov 04, 2016

IM OFFENDED!!! I believe Ethan just called me a "tool" which we all know is a deragatory insult!

I've had it with IPVM, I'll cancel and block on Linked In!!

Hey, just kidding, I happen to like he bearded wonder boy ;)

(1)
Jon Dillabaugh
Nov 05, 2016
Pro Focus LLC

With the Toughbuilt Cliptech system, you can have a bag setup for a given scenario. One for COAX terminations. One for TP terminations. Etc.

(1)
(2)
U
Undisclosed #3
Nov 06, 2016

My tools would vary depending on the type of installation I was doing at the time, but when I went to work for a CCTV manufacturer and had to travel and setup product demos while on the road, I always made sure I had my dikes and strippers...

U
Undisclosed #3
Nov 06, 2016

Joseph Marotta
Nov 07, 2016
IPVMU Certified

My everyday carry is .40 caliber Springfield XD, 1 extra magazine, Spyderco Endura 3.5" folding knife and Surefire EB1 300-lumen pocket flashlight.

Wait, what?

(1)
(2)
(2)
Brian Karas
Nov 07, 2016
IPVM

Nice setup.

My primary:

Ruger LCP .380 with Crimson Trace (it was a package deal, but the laser is small and doesn't get in the way). Extended mag. Versacarry "holster".

(1)
(2)
(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Nov 07, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Ruger LCP .380 with Crimson Trace (it was a package deal, but the laser is small and doesn't get in the way). Extended mag. Versacarry "holster".

Smart.

Helps keep your receivables down too.

(2)
(2)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions