What PTZs Or VMSes Ignore PTZ Movements As Motion Events?

JH
John Honovich
Aug 13, 2015
IPVM

This came up in class. I have heard of some that do but I am not sure who common or which combinations supports this. Anyone with information, please share.

MM
Michael Miller
Aug 13, 2015

Why would someone what this feature? What happens if your tracking someone and you want the video to record?

U
Undisclosed #1
Aug 13, 2015
IPVMU Certified

It's useful for programmed guard tours, so that you end up with only 'real' motion events.

(1)
MM
Michael Miller
Aug 13, 2015

So who decides what are "real" motion events? The analytics in the camera or the owner or operator of the system? What happens if the person or vehicle is not moving or not moving enough to tell the camera to record?

This feature sounds alot like the "autotracking PTZ" feature. Great on paper and really bad in real life.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Aug 13, 2015
IPVMU Certified

It works just like regular VMD, with whatever rules and thresholds are already set.

The only difference is that when the VMS is sending the command to the camera to move to a preset, either by operator or because of a programmed tour, the VMS suspends the triggering of an event for the time it takes the camera to move into the preset.

Otherwise, if for example you had a tour of presets with a dwell time of 30 seconds for each preset, you would end up with 120 events an hour that were created just by the movement of the camera. This way if nothing happened there would be no events.

MM
Michael Miller
Aug 13, 2015

I understand the concept but I don't see how pratical it would be in the real world. Example: Operator controls PTZ camera to track a person or an event. If the VMS supends the motion events then you miss the event. Now most systems have a manual record button so that would help but they would always have to remember to trigger manual recording.

Having some type of analytic that could pick out a person while the camera is moving would be interesting but I highly doubt this would be accurate.

U
Undisclosed #1
Aug 14, 2015
IPVMU Certified

It only suspends VMD momentarily (<1 sec) when moving to a preset.

Not ad-hoc joysticking. ONSSI anyway.

Ross Vander Klok
Aug 13, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Do you mean a PTZ that does not record as it goes about its pre-programed tour UNLESS it sees motion within the scene? If that was possible I would buy that camera in a second. I would also assume once you took it off pattern/tour and took control of the camera it would automatically start to record? Seems you would need all new algorithms or a super computer to do this though.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Aug 13, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Seems you would need all new algorithms or a super computer to do this though.

Not really. As long as the PTZ commands go thru the VMS, it just doesn't create a motion event for a couple seconds after it relays the command to the camera.

(1)
Ross Vander Klok
Aug 13, 2015
IPVMU Certified

We are talking two different things. I would like a camera to record motion (person, vehicle) seen while PTZ’ing, but NOT record just due to the motion of PTZ’ing itself. So I could set a 60 second pattern and it runs all day long when no one is around without recording a second, but as soon as motion (person, vehicle) is part of the scene (in any part of the pattern not just fixed presets) VMS recording starts.

Right now my PTZ cameras record 24/7 because they always see motion, but the motion is the camera moving not necessarily motion in the scene the camera is looking at. Can someone explain that better than me?

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Aug 13, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Got it. So how fast is the PTZ continously scanning?

JH
John Honovich
Aug 13, 2015
IPVM

"So I could set a 60 second pattern and it runs all day long when no one is around without recording a second, but as soon as motion (person, vehicle) is part of the scene (in any part of the pattern not just fixed presets) VMS recording starts."

The challenge is that the camera / system needs to know what is background vs what is moving (person, vehicle). When the camera is moving itself this is very hard to do.

I vaguely remember some niche analytics manufacturer claiming to do this a while back but never heard about it working.

Don't get me wrong. I see the value. It's just very hard to do accurately.

(1)
Ethan Ace
Aug 13, 2015

There is one I remember that ignored VMD when moving between presets, but I can't remember who it is. I'll find it.

If you took manual control, motion events resumed.

U
Undisclosed #1
Aug 13, 2015
IPVMU Certified

This is ancient NetDvr (ONSSI). I assume they kept in it Occularis, but don't know.

Ethan Ace
Aug 13, 2015

Found it. Sony EP/ER PTZs:

(1)
CJ
Chris Johnston
Aug 13, 2015

Bosch cameras also ignore motion while the camera is moving. Once at a preset position motion detection (if enabled) reactivates.

(1)
JE
Jim Elder
Aug 13, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Chris. What's the model number having this feature?

JE
Jim Elder
Aug 13, 2015
IPVMU Certified

So if you set a zone of detection in one area and you pan the camera to another scene and dwell on it because something is interesting; does the detection zone you set for the first scene adjust for the random place you stopped and viewed?

Also, i have used motion detection pretty successfully by implementing a home view or preset to return to a specific position. Used to be that you could equip cameras with potentiometer which could do this very precisely (including zoom) by knowing at all times exactly where in space your camera was pointing. Not sure if such options are still needed or even offered however.

By the way, the "video patrol tour" is a good way to check on your operator's vigilance level (where the video is acually supposed to be monitored)... but it should be done manually with specific goals and ojects in the scene that needed to be focused on. Then the supervisor could check the recordings the next day to determine if his/her folks are doing their jobs.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Aug 18, 2015

From my experience on Avigilon VMS with Avigilon PTZs, the auto tours suspend motion detection during PTZ movement. However, manually moving the PTZ records all motion.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions