Subscriber Discussion

What Programs Are On Your Laptop As Well As What Tools Do You Bring Whenever You Plan A Job?

DM
David Matyas
May 07, 2015

What programs are on your tablet/laptop as well as what tools do you bring whenever you plan a job?

(2)
MM
Michael Miller
May 07, 2015
(1)
MI
Matt Ion
May 07, 2015

Relevant programs on laptop:

• TeamViewer
  • Google Drive and Dropbox
  • Google Docs
  • NMap GUI & Advanced IP Scanner 2
  • Assorted camera finders, including Axis Camera Management
  • VMS clients, including Vigil Client, Dahua SmartPSS, HIK
  • VLC Player (can pull RTSP streams from most cameras, good for testing
  • Google Earth Pro
  • Screenshot Studio

Relevant apps on phone and tablet:

• TeamViewer
  • Google Drive and Dropbox
  • Google Docs
  • 3xLogic View Lite
  • IP Cam Viewer Pro (works with many cameras, plus has hundreds of webcams and traffic cams pre-configured)
  • gDMSS
  • iHIK
  • Onvifer (ONVIF finder/viewer)
  • Papyrus (draw/sketch/notebook app with support for the Samsung S-Pen; best I've found so far for marking up PDFs and images)
  • VLC Player
  • TimeDiary (records my travels for the day, can generate a point-form list of where I've been, very handy for keeping the timesheet updated, especially if I miss a day or two)
  • TripIt Pro (travel management)

As far as tools, that varies greatly depending on the job. For basic planning, the most I've needed has been a pen, flashlight or headlight, and maybe a tape measure and laser pointer.

I'm currently in Toronto completing (sort of) rough-in for a client... I've used all of five items:

• PVC tape (multiple colors)
  • Permanent marker (Sharpie, or more recently, Milwaukee Inkzall - writes on just about anything)
  • Zap straps (aka zip ties, cable ties, etc.)
  • Utility knife
  • Flush cutters

Oh yeah, and I had to borrow a fish tape and some twine from the electricians.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions