Subscriber Discussion

What NVR's Have Dual-Os?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Aug 13, 2016

I am looking at an RFP that specs the NVR to have a dual-OS for reliability. What NVR's do you know to have this? Or is this meaning to also use a PC with VMS simultaneously recording?

U
Undisclosed #2
Aug 13, 2016
IPVMU Certified

It's not really dual OS, as in two different operation systems. It's two OS system boot partitions, that are configured for failover.

Since a single read failure on this partition can render an entire network of cameras unavailable, it makes sense to have two. I don't imagine the cost is very high either, so I would predict embedded NVR's will increasingly be available with this feature

This Hik is an example of one.

UI
Aug 13, 2016

Im not seeing this model on US site. Hope I am overlooking it.

U
Undisclosed #2
Aug 13, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Try this one.

UI
Aug 13, 2016

Not seeing "Dual-OS" in the specs on this model either.

U
Undisclosed #2
Aug 13, 2016
IPVMU Certified

from the datasheet link

UI
Aug 13, 2016

I see that, thanks for pointed that out. However, the specs call for up to 12mp recording. I have been looking at 9600ni-i8 which does not state Dual-OS. I hope this was left out of the specs by mistake. Not sure why the better model would not have the Dual-OS.

U
Undisclosed #2
Aug 14, 2016
IPVMU Certified

UI
Aug 14, 2016

Can you post that link? This is what I get when downloading specs on the 9600NI-I8

U
Undisclosed #2
Aug 14, 2016
IPVMU Certified

It's from the international site, so you never know, could be some sort of embargo on dual OS in the US :)

Both sites have what looks to be the same manual, but different data sheets.

Worth a call to your Hik rep.

(1)
(1)
U
Undisclosed #2
Aug 15, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Also, just noticed B&H shows this in the description for the DS-9632NI-I8:

B&H is an authorized U.S. Hikvision distributor.

(1)
UI
Aug 15, 2016

Thanks for the research. I can't help but to think that the wording "Dual-OS" is simply left out of the specks on Hik's US site by mistake. I did speak with my local Hik rep who was also baffled by the "Dual-OS". I will call B&H tomorrow.

U
Undisclosed #2
Aug 15, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Normally I'd agree, but with Hik you never know, maybe it's part of their deal with North American VMS suppliers to limit competition by removing enterprise features from their NVRs, ala iVMS 5200.

Let us know.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Aug 17, 2016

Hi

I agree with this statement and it is worth repeating. Somewhere, somehow Hik needs to clean their acts: You never know.

You spec out a Hik anything and tomorrow same thing come out as a utterly cheaply priced OEM. They need to be more consistent in their offerings and more respectful of their brand.

RY
Richard Young
Aug 17, 2016

You can use the 2 boot partitions as described but if the boot drive fails you are still out of luck. The Yuzo NVR product line has dual mirrored SSD OS drives. This protects from OS drive failure which is what the spec. may be trying to describe.

U
Undisclosed #2
Aug 17, 2016
IPVMU Certified

You can use the 2 boot partitions as described but if the boot drive fails you are still out of luck. The Yuzo NVR product line has dual mirrored SSD OS drives.

Seperate drives increase the reliability, but they also increase the price. Dual partitions for boot do not require additional hardware (besides extra space), and I think there is little reason not to implement them.

Since we are not talking about mechanical drives failing in a physical way, I'm not sure how often controller failure vs random read/write failure is expected.

Why do they mirror the OS drives? Isn't that a risk, since a logical error, (kernel or config parameter) would be written to both OS partitions?

UI
Aug 18, 2016

Direct from RFP:

1. NVR Specifications: *32 channel / 24 TB (for smaller sites) (minimum 30 days storage) *Dual-OS design to ensure high reliability of system running *2 self-adaptive 10M/100M/1000M network interfaces
  2. *Recording at up to 12 MP resolution
  3. *H.265/H.264+/H.264/MPEG4 video formats
  4. *64 channel / 36 TB (for larger sites) (minimum 30 days storage)
  5. *HDD hot swap with RAID0, RAID1, RAID5 and RAID10 storage *12 MP/8MP/6MP/5MP/4 MP/3MP/1080p recording resolution *2 HDMI outputs (2560 ×1440)/60Hz, 1920 × 1080p/60Hz
  6. *CMS server failover support mechanism to ensure the operation continuity
  7. *Smart search for the selected area in the video; and smart playback
  8. *320 Mbps incoming bandwidth
  9. IP Camera Specifications: *2.8 -12 mm @ F1.4, motorized lens *120dB WDS – Day/Night *Intrusion detection, Line crossing detection, Motion detection *IP67 Ingress Protection *10/100 Mb Ethernet PoE (802.3af Class3)
  10. *Tampering alarm, Network disconnect, IP address conflict triggers
  11. *-30 °C –60 °C (-22°F –140°F) operating conditions
  12. *Built-in Micro SD/SDHC/SDXC card slot, up to 128GB
  13. *H.264/MJPEG/H.264+ video compression
  14. *4 megapixel resolution
UI
Aug 18, 2016

This pasted ugly but the info is there.

U
Undisclosed #2
Aug 18, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Which is obviously cut and paste from the Hik NVR.

UI
Aug 20, 2016

Official word from Hik-USA:

Dual-OS is available on all the NI-I8 NVRs sold in the US. The engineer explained to me that he wishes that Hik would replace the term "Dual-OS" with "Redundant-OS". He said that this refers to the feature that allows the NVR to recover should a bad firmware be flashed. The "redundant-os" retains the original firmware and brings it back up so that it is not bricked.

So, the feature is there and simply not printed in the US specs for one reason or another.

U
Undisclosed #2
Aug 20, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Is it automatic?

UI
Aug 21, 2016

The engineer didn't explain that. Good question, wish I had asked.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions