Subscriber Discussion

What Is Your Preference For Access Control On Glass/ Aluminum Storefront Doors?

Scott Napier
Dec 02, 2016

Just curious what you guys do when you are expected to put access control on storefront doors. Maglocks are the only thing that make sense to me, but do you have anything else?

DT
Damon Tarquinio
Dec 02, 2016

I try to avoid mag locks if at all possible. We've used either Adams Rite 4300 Steel Hawks (electrified deadlatches) to replace the Adams Rite mechanical deadlatch or cutting in electric strikes with the compatible faceplates for the existing deadlatch hardware.

We've had some quality issues with the 4300's in the past so we're mainly retrofitting these doors with electric strikes. A good locksmith can usually modify a storefront door to be able to use the correct electric strike and faceplate ---- don't let them surface mount the faceplate for the electric strike (have them cut the door frame to recess-mount the new faceplate and install mounting tabs for same) and always make sure they use the correct faceplate (usually a 6 7/8" long faceplate (not the 4 7/8" long one) to cover the existing cutout in the door frame from the strike plate that was there before the modifications).

if your locksmith knows what all this means, then you're in good shape. Your mag lock needs to be tied into the fire alarm system as well; modifications that utilize an electrified deadlatch or electric strike usually don't have to be tied into the fire alarm system since these solutions will always allow free egress.

(3)
(2)
DT
Damon Tarquinio
Dec 02, 2016

If your question was in reference to the types of double aluminum doors with full glass panes that are normally at the main entrance to Class A office buildings (these doors don;t have latches or operable levers/handles that move), then yes, mag locks are pretty much the solution.....

My previous reply was for single or double store front doors with either machanical deadlatches on them already or the common swing-style deadbolts.

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Dec 03, 2016

What issues have you had with the Adams Rite 4300's specifically? We have had so many fail recently that it's a joke already.

DT
Damon Tarquinio
Dec 05, 2016

Sometimes we'd get reports that the user could simply pull the door open without using the card reader. We found intermittent issues where the lock simply didn't always re-lock even though voltage was applied. If we punched the latchbolt in and out a few times it would sometimes re-lock and work for a while. This had to be replaced. We had 2-3 of these.

I believe what was also happening on these locks was that even if the auxiliary bolt was depressed, you could still push the latchbolt in, i.e. the auxiliary bolt wasn't performing its deadlocking function.

On same site we used Adams Rite push paddles with the built in REX switch; I'm a big fan of this feature since we're already running wires into the door for the 4300, but these switches are somewhat fragile in my experience. On a more recent job, we had two doors where we had twp push paddles with the REX function and on both doors the installers broke the wires off fo the back of the REX switch that fits inside of the push paddle assembly while doing the install. The solder joints holding the signal wires on the REX switch were way too fragile to be expected to be handled in the field.

Yes, they could have been more careful, but the wiring connections for the REX switches need to be more reliably made, perhaps with mini screw connections instead of poorly done solder joints.

(1)
Michael Silva
Dec 02, 2016
Silva Consultants

Damon's advice is good. I also avoid using electromagnetic locks if any other option exists.

I have had great success in using exit devices with electric latch retraction on storefront doors, both for single doors and pairs of doors. A little more expensive, but will work reliably for years if installed correctly.

(2)
DT
Damon Tarquinio
Dec 02, 2016

Yes, good idea ... we used that solution on a door where the building inspector didn't like the fact that the existing push paddle was way down at knee height and he wanted a single motion egress up higher on the door where the fixed tubular push bar was. We removed the push bar and replaced it with a panic with ELR and took out the push paddle that was way down low.

U
Undisclosed #2
Dec 03, 2016

To me, there are two scenarios of storefront doors -

Scenario 1 is your "typical" storefront door, which is an exterior door that is usually fairly high traffic. In this scenario, the only option as far as I am concerned is a narrow-stile electrified or motorized panic device. A high-quality device is the only thing that will stand up to the high traffic of one of those doors for any length of time. This is not a cheap solution, but it is the right solution.

Scenario 2 is a storefront door on the interior of a space that is low traffic, low occupancy, and not in the path of egress -- I normally see these in large server rooms or labs and other areas like that where they want a more open feel. In this scenario, it is acceptable as far as I am concerned is to use an electrified deadlatch with a push or pull paddle.

For me, maglocks are a complete nonstarter. I adamantly refuse to install maglocks on anything other than basically an exterior personnel gate, and even then I will look for other options. The proliferation of maglocks is one of the worst things about the access control industry as far as I am concerned, so I refuse to take part in that.

(5)
(2)
UI
Dec 03, 2016

Single or double doors?

U
Undisclosed #2
Dec 04, 2016

Yes.

Single doors are simple - as noted above, just a single electrified panic bar will do the trick.

Double doors are a bit more complex, but below is an example of the best way to do it. Two panic devices -- either electrify one or both, depending on the customer's request -- with a center mullion in between for them to latch into. We installed 14 sets of these exact doors for the project shown below and have not had one single issue. Compare that to another project where the hardware was provided by others that had vertical rods, and there have been nothing but problems the entire time.

(2)
JE
Jim Elder
Jan 03, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Agree with UI #2 here. You will have fewer callbacks and more satisfactory performance. But it may not be a valid use in places like hospitals where patient movement is an issue.  Also rather unsightly to architects.  You may want to try Alegion's new cable vertical rod devices with the quiet motor feature. Got several in and they (so far) perform without a hitch. If you use them though,  you now have a $8,000 door (Can anyone say mag lock??). 

I don't generally use mag locks either, but I don't have a big problem with them IF THE DOOR IS PROPERLY  DESIGNED.  If you check the 2015  International Building Code Section 1010.1.9.9 there is no requirement for fire alarm release or 30-second pushbutton located within 5' of the door (That stuff only comes into play if you use motion detectors).    It also says that the doors must release "upon loss of power to the system" which allows the use of backup power. To me, the new Code addresses some of the really big issues with having to use mag locks. 

I'm saying that every type of lock has a purpose and if your client cannot afford an $8000 door,  mag locks may make sense. I would also submit that bonding sensors are, at least for the most part, a more reliable indicator of lock status than door switches. 

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Dec 05, 2016

Why all the hate for maglocks, because of the fire alarm tie-in requirements?

Brian Rhodes
Dec 05, 2016
IPVMU Certified

The bias against maglocks is partly due to many AHJs not allowing them. Some lack confidence that the alarm tie-in would always work when needed, that the installer will integrate it correctly, or they are concerned with maglock use in buildings without fire alarms.

See: Maglocks - Who Uses And Hates Them

UI
Dec 05, 2016

That and also because of the required life safety devices required and codes that must be met. You have none of that with mechanical hardware. If the building is being inspected all they care about it the mag locks, their operation and tie in to the fire alarm. With strikes you don't even have to get involved in that show. Also with the added wiring complexity and device requirements it can add to the cost of the overall job. With that said sometimes you just have to use them since there are no other options. In the picture above they have a mullion but I would say that isn't a common application so unless you spend big dollars on vertical rods and latch retraction a mag lock is the best way to go with panic bars that mechanically break power to the mags.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #2
Dec 05, 2016

These guys above are getting way too complicated.

How about the fact that access control is intended for security, and maglocks are fundamentally insecure in basically every way? Lose power? The door swings open (because you can't have a maglock on battery backup). Are a man with any reasonable amount of strength? It's not hard to yank open a 500lb maglock if you really want in. Good luck trying to yank open a door with a panic device on it.

After that, then you get into the discussions about fire, life safety, and everything else.

If I walk into a building and see maglocks thrown up everywhere, I know that two things are true -- 1, this customer doesn't give a rip about quality and is going for the lowest price, and 2, we have a trunkslammer on our hands, because no access control integrator worth their salt would ever agree to do that.

Door hardware is complicated, and it's expensive, so most people just take the easy way out and slap up maglocks. Luckily, fire codes have advanced to the point where it is becoming increasingly difficult to do that.

(3)
(1)
Brian Selltiz
Dec 06, 2016
IPVMU Certified

(because you can't have a maglock on battery backup)

What about an AL400ULACM with batteries installed inside of it?

nevermind, I kept reading

U
Undisclosed
Dec 05, 2016

I thought all of you had the "here's how you bypass a maglock" secret ninja training and that was why.

(1)
UI
Dec 05, 2016

In my previous job we had several areas where they wanted badge in and out for accountability (lab areas). Maglocks are the only thing that can truly force a person to badge out of an area.

I can totally see your point in most general commercial scenarios, but mags do have their place. As for not putting them on battery backup, why not?? I have had 1200 pound mags on battery backup and they last quite a long time (several hours). We tested them in our lab with occasional use (one or two entries per hour) and they lasted 15 hours on a regular 7ah battery. The only real world use of that was a planned power outage at a greenhouse and it lasted the entire 12 hours.

UI
Dec 05, 2016

Asylum function lock is locked from both sides. Put in a strike and you're finished.

U
Undisclosed #2
Dec 05, 2016

The problem with this is that you still have an issue with "how does someone get out?" The answer is that your strike has to be fail-safe, because you have to put in an emergency override device like a pull station or a pushbutton, to release the door in case of an emergency. So, in that case, you've effectively created another maglock scenario, except you're using a strike to do it. Not that it doesn't work, but that it doesn't solve the problem of the fact that there still has to be an emergency override button to allow someone out immediately, which negates the purpose of badging out in the first place.

U
Undisclosed #2
Dec 05, 2016

1.) False - maglocks are not the only thing that works for a badge-out scenario. A delayed egress panic device can force a person to badge out, and in addition, it can also satisfy an AHJ who is concerned that someone has to badge to exit a space. Get approval for a 30-second delay instead of the typical 15-second, and someone has to stand there for 30 seconds with an alarm sounding before they can exit without badging out. To me, this is a better overall solution as well because it ensures that someone isn't trapped in a room, and it can also remove the emergency exit override that is usually required as well.

2.) By code (NFPA 72), battery backup is not allowed on magnetic locks. There is even some confusion around whether or not magnetic locks can be on building emergency power, although the general consensus in most areas is that it CAN be on building emergency/generator power. But under no circumstances are magnetic locks allowed to be on battery backup. If you're doing it, you're in violation of NFPA guidelines, and I would definitely remove the battery backup immediately.

(1)
(1)
Brian Rhodes
Dec 05, 2016
IPVMU Certified

RE: NFPA 72 not allowing battery backups on maglocks

Interesting, that's new to me. I thought NFPA 72 addressed fire alarms. Do you have a citation there?

U
Undisclosed #2
Dec 05, 2016

I don't have a citation at the moment and am not at a place I can look it up. The section deals specifically with access control and how doors must unlock on a fire alarm.

There is also a section of the IBC that discusses it as well, but again, not at a place where I can look it up. I can try to get both later.

Brian Rhodes
Dec 05, 2016
IPVMU Certified

This might be what you're recalling?

From the 2017 version of NFPA 72:

21.9.3 mentions you cannot use the 'secondary power' (including batteries per 10.6.7) used by the fire alarm for locking doors unless if when power totally fails to the fire alarm it kills power to the locks (within 10 minutes) as well.

The practical scenario this addresses is if a fire occurs when a building is without power and the fire alarm system has run out of backup power. You can't have doors locked without the fire alarm interrupt being valid, so it that case the locks must fall unlocked when the fire alarm backup battery goes dead.

BS
Brian Schulman
Dec 06, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Expanding on that, it is very simple to program a NO relay closed on an FACP (when there is power) and put it in series with the FACP input of a power supply designed with FACP interface in mind (like an Altronix ALxxxULACM).

Using the NC FACP input of the power supply would result in the opening of the doors selected to do so when the fire alarm power supply fails (regardless of alarm state even) because there would be no energy to hold the coil of the FACP NO relay shut. With most modern FACPs this is doable with the same relay you are going to use for the access control interface anyway.

To me that sounds like it meets all of the requirements and provides locks for the customer during power outages.

Am I missing something?

(1)
(2)
UI
Dec 05, 2016

I've been putting any and all lock and access systems with or without mags on battery for just about ever. I guess if you want any security whatsoever you will avoid mags like the plague then since your building will be wide open on a power loss.

UI
Dec 05, 2016

ah...

Sorry I left out one big detail. The doors had crash bars that we could not remove.

Greg Thornbury
Dec 05, 2016
Facility Solutions Group, Inc. • IPVMU Certified

If we are faced with exterior glass/all glass/ doors, we do our best to specify the Blumcraft exit devices from C R Laurence. If we are in early enough, we have never failed to get these spec'd in...architects/designers love them and you have a door that can fail locked in the event of power failure.

These use a header-mounted electric strike, and mechanically retract the bolt from the strike when used from the interior side. The strike releases from the exterior just like it would with a normal strike installation.

Hope that is helpful.

Greg

(1)
U
Undisclosed #2
Dec 05, 2016

I intended to notate this earlier, but this is 100% correct. Blumcraft/CR Laurence is a fantastic option. I'm doing a project now with about 15 all-glass doors with architectural panics and electrified top strikes. You are correct that the architects love them, and the security folks do as well.

The only people that don't love them are the ones who write the checks.

(1)
UI
Dec 06, 2016

I posed this question to the great Lori Greene:

"Both IBC sections addressing doors with mag-locks require the doors to unlock upon loss of power. The code doesn’t go into detail about whether back-up power is allowed, but in my opinion, the intent of the code is that back-up power is ok if the fire alarm system and the mag-locks are backed up on the same system. I wouldn’t use battery backup in an individual power supply for a mag-lock, but I do think it’s ok to put mag-locks on emergency power if the fire alarm system is also on emergency power."

- Lori

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions