So I have a smallish crew. We are currently at 5 techs plus a foreman. Until recently, I had one service vehicle, and generally, employees would go straight to the job site.
Recently I gave my foreman a pickup and kept the one service van. However, we have been seeing some issues, mainly being that the van ended up spending the entire day driving from job site to job site (if we had crews in multiple locations), just delivering items.
I am trying to figure out what the proper amount of vehicles to get.
Some info of the way things work:
* We have one employee that lives 45 minutes away from the office, I would rather him not take a van home (cost and liability) but on the other hand, we have some customers near where he lives. If I know the night beforehand that he has a local to him the job he can take the van but if not then he would be driving 1.5 hours round trip to get to the job. On a side note, this tech has been complaining that he really wants a take-home vehicle because a lot of times he has to be home by a set time, and him heading back to the office means that he has to leave the job site earlier.
* Having too many vehicles makes it that I have more costs on the vehicles, plus I need to keep stock and tools on each vehicle
* Sometimes we have crews of 2+ at a job site (so they can go together), but a lot of times there is a quick service call that only requires one tech
* Having everyone come to the office and head out from there in pairs doest really always work because of above
* I can tell them that they can keep their personal tools in a bag, go straight to the job site and a van can drop off the tools, but then van will be constantly driving around
* I know once I have a van for everyone, even if two people are going to the same job, they will take two vans "just in case" one needs to go somewhere else, and we are wasting gas, etc...