Subscriber Discussion

Connecting Remote Cameras To A Recorder 20 Miles Away?

MM
Montasser Mohammed
Mar 24, 2016
IPVMU Certified

What is the best method of networking remote ATM cameras using wireless?

JH
John Honovich
Mar 25, 2016
IPVM

Montasser, can you elaborate on your setup? Where is the recorder? Where is the ATM? What separates them?

Generally, ATM cameras are hardwired direct to the recorder, either a small form factor one in the ATM machine(s) or to the facility on site.

MM
Montasser Mohammed
Mar 25, 2016
IPVMU Certified

recorder at city , ATM on the highway 20 miles away , we've many ATMs in other remote locations need to be connected to the same recorder.

also that camera should give overview from 8M height also the expected bandwidth will be 1.5Mbps

there is no infrastructure like fiber optics cables or any wired communication way , we've to use a practical wireless communication but not satellite

thanks

JH
John Honovich
Mar 25, 2016
IPVM

Ok, so this issue is not really specific to an ATM, it is about how to connect a camera 20 miles away from a recorder, yes/no?

Assuming so, what cellular / mobile options are available in the area of the ATM?

MM
Montasser Mohammed
Mar 25, 2016
IPVMU Certified

yes , there're mobile networks , we used one modem from one mobile compny but we've to reset it manually , some times once a day , some times once a week

JH
John Honovich
Mar 25, 2016
IPVM

Try another mobile carrier then or try to have that first one troubleshoot it with you.

At the distances you are talking about, building your own wireless link is likely to be costly and complicated, so I'd focus first on making it work with a mobile carrier.

HF
Hunter Fort
Mar 25, 2016

Edge recording would be far more reliable in this case. Like John had mentioned you still need connectivity and mobile would be the way to go. You could consider programming the camera to trigger an output which would in essence reboot the current modem for you. Just a thought although this may complicate things long term. Short term- find a reliable modem. Try Sierra Wireless modems as they work extremely well.

(1)
Jon Dillabaugh
Mar 28, 2016
Pro Focus LLC

This can be done with Ubiquiti AirMax products. The size and scope is hard to tell from your basic info. Depending on how closely the ATM's are to each other, elevations of each site, etc will make a large impact on viability and cost.

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Mar 28, 2016
IPVM

elevations of each site

For a 20 mile link, what kind of elevation are we talking about? 50 feet? 100 feet?

Related: Fresnel Zone Calculator

Jon Dillabaugh
Mar 28, 2016
Pro Focus LLC

Many factors come into play. I've never built out a system like this, but many have. My longest wireless link was less than 1/4 mile, so I'm far from an expert. I was simply pointing out there are products built for this exact use by Ubiquiti.

JH
John Honovich
Mar 28, 2016
IPVM

But with 20 miles, elevation becomes critical. Unless his ATM on a highway is sitting next to a pre-existing ~100' tower, wireless is going to be difficult and expensive to set up.

(2)
Jon Dillabaugh
Mar 28, 2016
Pro Focus LLC

It could be up on the side of a mountain for all we know. That's why I said we needed more info than he gave, but I just wanted to steer him in a direction for a product that is likely going to be much cheaper than fiber build outs and he specifically asked about wireless.

JH
John Honovich
Mar 28, 2016
IPVM

And because of the elevation issues needed for 20 miles, that is why I recommended him to focus on mobile carriers first.

He also said that "we've many ATMs in other remote locations need to be connected to the same recorder" so the probability that all of these are on sides of a mountain looking down to the same city recorder are very low.

Jon Dillabaugh
Mar 28, 2016
Pro Focus LLC

I will refrain from assisting anyone asking for help in the future, unless I can be assured they have all of their ATM's on mountainsides.

(3)
U
Undisclosed #1
Mar 28, 2016
IPVMU Certified

What about using repeater sites, possibly at the other ATMs?

Like outlined here.

DP
Donald Peters
Mar 29, 2016
IPVMU Certified

In our experience, 20 miles on existing Ubiquiti products would require absolutely perfect conditions to achieve. At best in a highly rural area with zero interference (-95 dBm), and no trees or buildings in the FZ, each location would likely need at least 80' towers and 3' parabolic dish antennas (assume no uptilt). If all of the above conditions hold true, expect roughly 15 - 25 Mbps aggregate with significant latency.

We've had good experiences with Ubiquiti but at that distance your best options are to look at the PTP650 line from Cambium. Significantly better interference rejection, NLoS and a much higher modulation rate. It certainly requires a greater initial investment but the performance and reliability are second to none.

John is correct, the mobile carriers may offer the best solution. In the US, the 24 hour disconnection problem can be resolved on "the V" carrier by purchasing a static IP and using a good modem such as the Cradlepoint COR600.

PTP wireless is likely not a realistic solution for this use case but regardless, I hope this helps. Good luck.

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions