What Is The Most Attractive Card Reader?

Brian Rhodes
Oct 06, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Most card readers stick out in obvious ways and are easy to spot.  The obviousness of these units can invite tampering and vandalism.

Over the years, some vendors have offered ones with interchangeable color faceplates, designer materials housings (cork and bamboo), and even ones that are buried in walls.

HID recently launched a new 'Decor' version of iClass SE units:

With that in mind, who makes the best looking card reader?

MM
Michael Miller
Oct 06, 2016

I like this reader from Paxton

(2)
Brian Rhodes
Oct 06, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Interesting. Does that reader only work with Paxton, or is it a Wiegand output reader?

MM
Michael Miller
Oct 06, 2016

From what I was told it only works with Paxton right now but they are going to come out with a Wiegand version at some point. Pro tip: Don't drop that reader on your foot or you will be making a trip to the hospital for x-rays. It's heavy!

Mark McRae
Oct 06, 2016
Inaxsys Security Systems

I'm a reader connoisseur and that's really quite nice and tasteful. How big is it?

It doesn't look like it would fit the conventional mullion or single-gang box

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Oct 12, 2016

When I saw the title of this thread, I immediately thought of the Paxton Marine Reader. In fact I became a Paxton dealer in some part because of that awesome reader when I saw it on display at a Milestone MIPS meeting. That and they were early to market with single door controllers. Turns out it's called a Marine reader because some British tycoon wanted a custom reader for his yacht and they designed that. Decided to put in on the market and it's done well. A little more pricey than the average reader but for an upscale building, it really makes a statement. It glows green when credentials are presented, and red when access denied.

(1)
MM
Michael Miller
Oct 06, 2016

Not really designed for a mullion or single-gang box as you can see. What I really like about this reader is how bright the lights are. There is no mistaking if the reader is green or red in direct sunlight.

Armando Perez
Oct 07, 2016
Hoosier Security and Security Owners Group • IPVMU Certified

I second the marine reader from paxton.

(1)
Brian Rhodes
Oct 09, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Any one have other options here?

I've seen an installation that installed long range readers in jboxes that were covered up by a layer of sheetrock. It seemed to work pretty well, but I don't know what limitations there might have been.

U
Undisclosed #1
Oct 09, 2016

Most Attractive Card Reader

(1)
(3)
(10)
Armando Perez
Oct 09, 2016

Paxton also makes one designed to go behind the surface. I think they call it tamper proof. They provide a cover to show where to place your credentials, but it could be used without it and would look like nothing is there.

They also have an architectural reader that is made to look like a name plate you would often find outside of an office.... on mobile so no links right now.

(1)
U
Undisclosed
Oct 10, 2016

"Get over it, we're going with the Hello Kitty readers because they fit with the architect's design". (We don't care you're using trivially clonable prox cards transmitting cardholder data over insecure Wiegand wiring.)

This argument apparently has worked in the past. Now that we get to ask embarassing questions like "does your cyber insurance company know about this" there may be glimmers of hope this improves.

Yes if the customer is demanding Hello Kitty readers I understand we should make the reader housings look like the customer wants. Plus or minus UL approval and stuff...

Brian Rhodes
Oct 10, 2016
IPVMU Certified

!

Is there such thing as "cyber insurance"?

U
Undisclosed
Oct 11, 2016

Yes. Sat in a bid meeting last week with a client demanding it. Vendor team tells me people are now asking for this.

So here's how this train wreck is going to work:

1. integrator bids secure deployment

2. general contractor rips out all the cyber stuff to lower the price

3. integrator rolls over and shrugs their shoulders claiming "the GC made me do it" when interrogated by client IT security

4. insurance company's cyber insurance onboarding process checks site for security, just like they check for working fire suppression, code compliance etc.

5.a things are fine, you get your occupancy permit. GC continues current practices (secure or not)

5.b YOU DO NOT GET YOUR OCCUPANCY PERMIT. Or insurance policy. GC doesn't get paid. Building not usable, stuff like that.

Yep, many of you reading this think 5.b is fantasy. I respectfully suggest maybe it's not...

RS
Robert Shih
Oct 10, 2016
Independent

Oh gawd... Hello Kitty Official Box Camera Housings here we come!

I'm going to ready my barf bags now.

Armando Perez
Oct 10, 2016

I so want to install hello kitty readers...

Armando Perez
Oct 10, 2016

serious note. here are the paxton tamper proof and architectural readers...

MM
Michael Miller
Oct 10, 2016

I saw these on my LinkedIn feed a couple of weeks ago but I can't find the info anymore. . Custom designed reader covers. Armando you could use these for your hello kitty fix.

CP
Chris Powell
Oct 10, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Image result for tarot card reader

(2)
U
Undisclosed #3
Oct 12, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Buy three Prox cards, get one forehead Fob free!

(1)
(1)
JE
Jeremy Ellis
Oct 12, 2016

RoxProx is really nice looking, and for a few dollars more, it can be customized.

(1)
Brian Rhodes
Oct 19, 2016
IPVMU Certified

I spotted this one recently:

While not covert, I thought the shape of this combo keypad/card reader was pretty nice. There is a Valcom intercom unit adjacent/connected to it.

It looks like this is a CDVI SolarK unit.

Brian Karas
Oct 19, 2016
IPVM

I guess it depends on your tastes. I find that one pretty ugly. The shape looks vaguely toilet-seat inspired, or like a tongue hanging out of the wall.

It looks like it's bigger than a single-gang box, but too small to make sense to mount it to a double-gang (when mounting as shown). Making those installations look more awkward then necessary.

If you mounted it flat to a wall the outer radius could give good purchase to a vandal's pry-bar. Granted you might not be able to do anything if you pry it off the wall, but I could see the average unskilled street thief open to trying.

This is not one that I'd want on my building.

(5)
(1)
MC
Marty Calhoun
Oct 31, 2016
IPVMU Certified

I agree completely it does resemble a Toilet seat, LOL....

UD
Undisclosed Distributor #4
Oct 19, 2016

Image result for hello kitty

It seems that HID's R&D engineers have been lurking. Product Management couldn't decide which market segment to target, so Marketing split the difference. The Legal team has not yet weighed in ...

MM
Michael Miller
Oct 31, 2016

Finally popped up in my feed again. Reader Covers

Brian Karas
Oct 31, 2016
IPVM

How odd, the company sells covers for access card readers, alongside their assortment of "flameless" LED candles.

Looks like a $250 artwork/setup charge, to have your logo silk-screened on a plastic cover that fits over various HID readers. Covers range in price from $22-$35/ea.

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions