Subscriber Discussion

What Is Your Max Work Height On Extension Ladders?

JH
Jay Hobdy
Jan 13, 2017
IPVMU Certified

We are bidding an apartment community and 2 buildings are 3 stories. We have to run conduit up the building to the attic and run our wires thru the attic to various locations, then run conduit down from the attic at each location to each device. Devices will be mounted 15 to 20' off the ground. 

On the side of the building we will be drilling a couple feet above the 3rd floor to get into the attic. 

When i look at this from the ground, I do not think its wise or safe to try to run conduit 35' off the ground  while on an  extension ladder.

I know osha has a 3 point rule while climbing the ladder. I couldnt find anything about when actually working.

Am i crazy for wanting a lift?

[IPVM Note - related posts: Guide To Selecting And Using Ladders and Lifts, Booms and Bucket Trucks For Video Surveillance]

Brian Rhodes
Jan 13, 2017
IPVMU Certified

The ground stability play a big role in the max height in my experience.

Indoor, flat, concrete work surface? Maybe 25' feet.

Outdoor, windy, soggy turf? A lot less!  

U
Undisclosed #1
Jan 13, 2017
IPVMU Certified
JH
Jay Hobdy
Jan 14, 2017
IPVMU Certified

No 1. Similar topic but that one the cameras were mounted in a bad spot where the tech would have to reach backward.

This one the ladder would placed on a flat surface on the building. Ground is dirt/grass.  There are some areas close to grade drop off that may prevent the proper angle on the ladder. Tech would have to drill thru building, mount conduit, pulling elbow, pull cable thru elbow etc all from the top of the ladder. Seems like alot of up down and not real safe.

Customer has requested a walk thru for monday so i want to be confident when i say we need a lift

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Jan 14, 2017

You will need a lift for this one as you can't climb up a ladder to that height while holding a 10ft piece of conduit safely. Use a lift with two guys, one will hold the conduit while the second fastens it. 

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions