Wanna see something funny? Here's a trade-specific practical joke to play on your co-workers, especially the 'new guy', that's sure to provide plenty of after-hours ribbing at the 'Rusty Nail' or the 'Leaky Grommet' or whatever your watering hole is called...
Here's what you need for the bare bones setup:
Equipment: Surveillance camera with two-way audio. VMS software with viewing monitor
People: Good actor with impeccable timing. New guy.
Location: Ideally Distance of > 50 feet between camera and VMS viewing monitor, preferably with a door between the two and somewhat out of earshot. Ideally two points of exit from viewing room.
Here's the basic idea for the gag: You tell the newbie that you need help making some adjustments to a camera's mount, zoom, focus or whatever makes sense. Then,
1. Secretly change from Live view to Playback view on the VMS viewer and start playback, having it run 1 minute behind what the actual time is. Maximize window to hide any indication of playback mode.
2. Tell the newbie to watch the monitor until you 'get out there'.
3. Leave the room (in front of his view for best effect), and when out of sight, hightail it to the camera.
4. Make an adjustment that is sure to make newbie comment, then do a bunch of 'hows that?' with appropriate pauses. Alternating between overcompensating on the right and the left will give a real sense of interaction later! Get closeups of your face in the camera as much as possible. Do this for 60 seconds.
5. Suddenly as if shocked, pull back a foot or two from the camera and look into the lens and quickly say "Who the f*** are you?" as you shift your gaze up and to the side of the lens. Count to three and add "No, who the f*** are you?"
6. Hightail it back to the viewing room, entering quietly from behind the back of newbie.
7. Newbie should be fully engaged 'helping' you by then. Wait for newbie to turn around to see 'who the f*** is behind' him (they always will, even though it doesn't make sense), and deliver "Who the f*** are you?" to yourself.
8. Apply smelling salts/ice pack to newbie as necessary.
For maximum enjoyment, an additional camera may be used to capture the newbie action/reaction during the whole gag. Playback the whole gag in multi-camera mode, instead of answering any questions. Enjoy.