Subscriber Discussion

What Is The Best Transmission - Wireless Or Wired?

Bobby Mancia Jr.
Mar 09, 2017
MIZELA CORPORATION • IPVMU Certified

Case scenario 1: 10 PTZ are to be installed at a distance of 200m apart of alternate utility post. The central control room is to be installed 1000m(3300ft) in the middle of the 2000m(6600ft) total distance of the road to be monitored. However, the lighting posts are obstructed with so many leaves in between. As quoted from one Manufacturer minor obstruction like leaves are  insignificant using Flat Panel Antennas.

Case scenario 2: The farthest distance of the camera to the control room are 1000m (3300ft) from the left and 1000m(3300ft) from the right. The option to connect the cabling from cameras to the control room, is to run the cable along the electric and the communication cable, which might cause interference.

Case scenario 3: The 24vdc power for each camera will be drawn from the individual house underneath the lighting post were the camera is installed as home owners agreed.

Proposed Wireless solution:

"RadioLabs has recognized the need for a point to point system that will perform better in situations where complete line of sight is not possible. This kit will have much better penetration through minor trees and small obstructions because the Flat Panel Antennas are made with Circular Polarization."

"In a nutshell, circular polarization means the antenna is better able to receive a clear signal due to the fact that the signal is both vertically and horizontally polarized at the same time. This effect enables the signal to penetrate through small obstructions and "twist" it's way through trees, leaves and small structures." as quoted.

Proposed Wired Solution:

UTP: Running the UTP cable more than limitations of 305m(1000ft) might not be a problem, but beyond this limit it could cause collision problem and dropping down signal. Please propose extenders if there is available and feasible.

Coax: Some manufacture claim that coax can be extended up to 1200m, but I am in doubt. Others says that connecting video baluns can extend the transmission distance of the coax cable. Please comment and advise. 

Fibre Optics: Multi mode Fibre optic transmission can be extended to distances of 2km more or less, making this an option of choice for sites where distant cameras are required on the network. We plan to use LC connectors and TX/RX fibre optic - TCP/IP signal converter connected to the NVR. Please advise, I am not very familiar with the accessories that will be needed.

IMPORTANT: The cameras will be monitored 24/7 in the control room by a designated security personnel. The cameras can be accessed by individual authorized homeowners via IOS and android APPs. The video quality is vital on the recording, as I was told that the transmission line plays as an important factor that can affect the camera output.

REFERENCE: Link

DW
Dennis Widdows
Mar 09, 2017

If you ca get power for each camera from a residence and each residence has  INTERNET capability why not use that and save a ton of money on infrastructure??

I did something similar at a HOA but used multi imager cameras...PTZs are not recommended as a primary source for General surveillance system...

My $ 11 dollars worth...

Also obstructions at microwave frequencies can and will cause problems so a wired solution is always the best if you can get it...

(1)
Bobby Mancia Jr.
Mar 09, 2017
MIZELA CORPORATION • IPVMU Certified

Hi Dennis,

Thank you for your inputs. Can you provide me the specification of the multi imager you used?

"I did something similar at a HOA but used multi imager cameras...PTZs are not recommended as a primary source for General surveillance system..."

We thought about using each residential house internet connection, however majority are hesitant to connect the LAN cables to their router. Although, there is another chance to approach them.

Thanks

(1)
DW
Dennis Widdows
Mar 09, 2017

There are more to choose from now but we used Areconts and some 180s from 3X logic last year...I am starting a job now where I am going to use the Digital Watchdog units...

The Omnis from Arecont have worked well  for me but many here don't like them...

Go to the specific websites and check their specs and capabilities...

Really depends on what exactly you are doing and the light situation, bandwidth,your VMS or NVRs etc...

Yes it is hard to get some HOA members to cooperate UNTIL you show them the price difference on the install and the upkeep on a wireless system with no CLOS...they get

the PICTURE often times after that lol.

Good luck

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions