Subscriber Discussion

What Is The Best Switch For Enterprise Level Systems And What Switch Will Give You Enterprise Level Capabilities For Residential Level Dollars?

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #1
Mar 07, 2017

I have in the past been frequently asked by integrators as to what switch to use in various applications. All obviously want more bang for their buck. Is there a study that shows feature set for a wide range of switches rather than just Cisco or HP vs someone else?

Matthew Netardus
Mar 07, 2017
IPVMU Certified

D-Link used to have a document showing their switches performed favorably to Cisco, though I do believe it was their upper level switches. 

With a lot of those enterprise grade switches, the key is knowing which features you need for your project. We are currently working on a 600 camera installation that required redundant recording to 2 different places on the network, and the customer originally wanted us to go Cisco since they figured they would have to in order to accomplish that but we were able to get it done using Titan series switches for significantly less (and since it is a video project where a lot of those data center quality features aren't needed, but latency is crucial, our switches are performing better than the system would've had it used the much more expensive Cisco). The key is knowing which features in the enterprise zone are needed, and which are un-needed and just add cost. Once you pick a few key features you can find a non Cisco/HP switch that fits it without the Cisco cost

(1)
EP
Eddie Perry
Mar 07, 2017

Trendnet is my go to for sub enterprise or enterprise lite switches. Mainly because they are one of the few that offer decent size and quality power supplies in their switches along a with a fairly decent amount a enterprise features to go along.

If the environment is a concern. Ubiquiti tough switches are my go to. although I do try to avoid them if I Can as they can be costly if you need a lot of ports.

usually I have to chose between Power supply or features on switches if I Go the budget route though.

(2)
John Scanlan
Mar 07, 2017
IPVM • IPVMU Certified

The old saying goes 'No one ever got fired for buying Cisco' and a common reply to that is, 'But we did have lay offs so we can afford it'.

The first thought above is echoed in our Favorite Network Switch for Surveillance report, where Cisco came in at the top spot.  This report may help provide some honest and experienced insight for you.  When we run this again I will not be surprised to see Ubiquiti move into the top 6.

(2)
(2)
(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Mar 07, 2017

I have heard that same line about Cisco before...but then they came out with CPAM and VSOM.

(1)
Jon Dillabaugh
Mar 08, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

Ubiquiti is the switch we most often use, but if you need something more reliable or more features, HP is really a no brainer. 

We have started to dislike Netgear after a few bad RMA examples lately due to bad firmware updates. They tell you about the next business day replacement, but you have to have a credit card with a billing address that matches the shipping address to use it. We don't like asking our clients to secure the RMA personally. It would be nice if they would simply allow us to use our own card to secure the shipment to the clients' site. 

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Mar 08, 2017

I concur, recently used HP 1950 edge switches with 3810 cores due to the amount of fiber.  The 3810 was a bit of a challenge to get setup initially but I actually prefer its CLI over the 1950 web based interface.  It was a substantial savings over Cisco.  Cisco SMB class pricing for Cisco enterprise class performance (Cisco 2960 at least, not 3850).  Lifetime limited warranty and no Smartnet BS.

I would debate the BCD Titan series as a viable option since they are basically Avaya OEM.

MC
Marty Calhoun
Mar 08, 2017
IPVMU Certified

DLINK  DES-121028P   24 port POE  works like a champ for me < $ 250 bucks

UI
Mar 08, 2017

Doesn't look bad but the switching capacity is really low.  Also no link aggregation and no SFP+ would keep it out of my larger sites.

MC
Marty Calhoun
Mar 08, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Thank you for the information but I would suggest you research a little more, The switch absolutely has [2] SFP ports and of course Link aggregation is a standard feature. We have never had any problems with switching capacity when used for IP Video systems using all ports.

(1)
UI
Mar 08, 2017

I missed the LACP. Note that I said "SFP+".  Also, no stacking which is fine for residential and SMB installs with a half dozen or so switches, but... difficult in enterprise installs.

Jon Dillabaugh
Mar 08, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

SFP=1Gbps

SFP+=10Gbps plus DA

(1)
MC
Marty Calhoun
Mar 08, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I curious what size of system(IP Cameras) you engineered that needed 10g bandwidth between switches?

Jon Dillabaugh
Mar 08, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

I don't just do cameras. 

(2)
GM
Gordon McFarland
Mar 08, 2017
Bowler Pons Solutions Consultants

I am interested to see that so far no one has mentioned the PoE capability of the switch. I would think that would be one of the major deciding features, particularly with the upcoming 802.3bt standard that can deliver up to 90 watts to the edge.

In addition, I add InfoSec tools such as port blocking.

(1)
Paul Grefenstette
Mar 09, 2017

Cisco

HP

Ubiquiti/Netgear

We normally ask our clients what their corp switch standard is and buy that for them --

I do like the ubiquiti line from the tough switch to the bigger 24/48 port switches especially when we have their wireless ptp radios we can have the switch power the cameras and the 24v radios -- used them more than netgear in the past few years even tho we still use that 8 port all poe all gig switch from netgear thats still a solid switch for small installs

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions