Subscriber Discussion

What Is The Best Camera Placed Outside Facing Into The Setting Sun?

AG
Andrew Gubbels
Jul 14, 2015

I inherited a client that has a SPECO 16 channel analog DVR and a selection of Speco Turret style intensifier cameras....

The cameras that face the setting sun (3 in total) are failing in 6months or less... Total washed out white picture...

To capture the truck parking areas there really aren't any options for new camera placement so WHAT camera would work best in this situation...

I will also add the location is in Canada and the bright setting sun plus entirely white snow covered parking lot is the chalenge...

JH
John Honovich
Jul 14, 2015
IPVM

Andrew, does it have to work with the existing Speco analog DVR? Because that is going to limit options.

In general, true WDR cameras are the best approach for dealing with setting sun.

AG
Andrew Gubbels
Jul 14, 2015

Yes the system is tied to the Speco, client isn't interested in adding to the system at this time...

JH
John Honovich
Jul 14, 2015
IPVM

Then you are limited to a declining number of SD analog cameras.

One, I would recommend setting low / reasonable expectations. There has not been real high end imaging development in SD analog for years and there are limited true WDR options to even begin with.

Years ago, Pixim was the high-end analog WDR offering but I am not even sure if you can get those cameras anymore (see: What Happened To Pixim After Sony Acquired Them?).

I have not kept track of true WDR SD analog options. Panasonic (was it SDIII) was good years ago, not sure what is still shipping.

TC
Trisha (Chris' wife) Dearing
Jul 14, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Mount the camera higher, tilting down.

Add a sunshield to the enclosure.

Add a polarizing filter, if possible.

Edit: Just saw you said there were no placement options.

So are you really asking "What is the Best Analog Camera..."?

(1)
TC
Jul 14, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Maybe this FLIR would be an option. It's a CVI HD camera, but it's got a shield, True WDR and dual analog/analog HD outputs for about $110.

Can't be certain if the True WDR would apply to the analog output though, maybe IPVM has one?

JH
John Honovich
Jul 14, 2015
IPVM

How will it connect to the existing Speco DVR?

TC
Jul 14, 2015
IPVMU Certified

BNC coax?

AG
Andrew Gubbels
Jul 14, 2015

Yes to Coax BNC connectors... 24 volts DC power supply...

JH
John Honovich
Jul 14, 2015
IPVM

How will an old Speco DVR interface with a new CVI camera?

TC
Jul 14, 2015
IPVMU Certified

How would a Speco DVR would interface with a Panasonic SDIII camera?

This CVI camera has a seperate analog NTSC ouptut in addition to the HD one, so the video stream itself should be compatible, no?

JH
John Honovich
Jul 14, 2015
IPVM

Panasonic SDIII used to be analog only in the days before IP.

In any event, no point debating this, Speco has a current true WDR model that's probably a reasonable choice to go wth.

TC
Jul 14, 2015
IPVMU Certified

As for how the camera can be configured, that's a good point. I'm looking now...

AG
Andrew Gubbels
Jul 14, 2015

HT6040K

1000 TVL Indoor/Outdoor IR Vandal Resistant Turret
with True WDR, 2.8-12mm Lens, Dark Grey Housing

This is what Speco is sugesting... Anyone had a chance to fire one of these up?

JH
John Honovich
Jul 14, 2015
IPVM

Speco if an uncommon choice amongst integrators on IPVM, so I doubt many have experience with that.

From the specs, it seems modern. It evidently is using a 1.3MP sensor but sending out NTSC.

AG
Andrew Gubbels
Jul 14, 2015

Thanks John, this job was originally done by a part timer... Connections, wiring and general install is a bit sketchy...

Eventually we will move him and upgrade...

Jon Dillabaugh
Jul 16, 2015
Pro Focus LLC

Why can't you move the cameras? I challenge you to go back and rethink this limitation. It really is the /right/ way to deal with it. Like Chris said, move them higher and aim downward more. Keep the sky out of the view and you won't have sun in the view.

(1)
U
Undisclosed
Jul 16, 2015

Can you relocate the Camera? We had a similar situation, so we put a pole. Second Solution would be to custom build a sun shade at that angle.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions