Subscriber Discussion

What Is The Best (And Quickest) Way To Secure A Single Cat5 Run To A Concrete Ceiling?

DM
David Matyas
Feb 13, 2017

What is the best (and quickest) way to secure a single cat5 run to a ceiling like this (its solid concrete) ? Thank you

Ari Erenthal
Feb 13, 2017

Drive a standard #8 plastic anchor into the ceiling, and hammer a drive ring into it. Then, use a laser level or a snap line to mark a straight line. Hammer a drive ring about every five feet or so. Thread the cable through and secure with zip ties, making sure keep them loose or you'll get crosstalk. Some use velcro straps or electric tape.

(5)
Joseph Parker
Feb 13, 2017

I use a laser level for a ceiling mounts, because nothing looks worse than a cable snake on a ceiling.  That said, for a single cable I'd to 1/4" plastic anchors and screw down coax clips.  Because the clips are made for coax you shouldn't have to worry about over tightening.

(4)
Jon Dillabaugh
Feb 14, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

Coax clamps would be a little big for CAT5e cable, no?

Joseph Parker
Feb 14, 2017

Probably, but we use CAT6 only which is just about perfect.  Nothing a little tape won't fix, and you really don't want it too tight anyway.

Jon Dillabaugh
Feb 14, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

I would at least want it snug to keep the wire from sagging.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Feb 13, 2017

I would wait for those walls to go up so the cable doesn't get squashed against the ceiling by the carpenters.....

(5)
(1)
Jon Dillabaugh
Feb 14, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

They make differing sizes of these insulated cable clamps, so you will need to check the OD of your particular cable and match it up with the correct size clamp. I would use those clamps with a #10 stainless screw into an alligator plastic anchor.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Feb 20, 2017

1/2 inch emt. then the wire is easy. future adds easy too. 

Ari Erenthal
Feb 20, 2017

And there goes your entire margin for the job. 

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Feb 20, 2017

Ari, I think different. Two holes in concrete for each 10 feet. Stays straight. Wire pull in 10 mins. construction won't cut wire. cheaper in the long run. 

Jon Dillabaugh
Feb 20, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

If ever running EMT, run 3/4" for the ability to handle more than a few runs. 

gc
gabriel colon
Feb 20, 2017

this is the easy and the cheapest way to do it and it looks neat TIE WRAP MOUNTS MASONRY to the wall and thats it

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Feb 20, 2017

Check Out Hilti 

X-EKB MX small qty or X-ECH/FR for larger bundles

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions