Subscriber Discussion

What Does Is Take To Become An Avigilon Dealer?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Apr 21, 2017

I'm not that familiar with Avigilon so I'm just wandering what it takes to become a dealer and sell their cameras.

U
Undisclosed #2
Apr 21, 2017

Mostly a commitment to do a minimum volume of business, which will vary depending on where you are located, but will likely start at around $500,000 annually.

Avigilon sells dealers on the idea of exclusive territories, but if you are located 2 blocks away from an existing Avigilon partner and can convince them you can bring significant NEW business to the region, they will likely sign you up.

(2)
(1)
(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Apr 21, 2017

Typically you'll inquire about it via their website, and then a local rep will contact you for on-site meetings. They're fairly picky about who they choose, but it seems like they're typically looking for well established companies, be in a vertical that's not well covered by other partners in your area, have a good existing client base that has interest in security, and be willing to go out and find new opportunities. Usually there's a couple of rounds of interviews you'll have to pass through before they decide if they'll authorize you or not. It was definitely one of the harder vendors we've ever been authorized for.

(4)
(3)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Apr 21, 2017

Thanks for the responses. I assume #2 and #3 are Avigilon dealers? Do you sell Avigilon exclusively? What type of customers do you typically sell an Avigilon system to?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #6
Apr 24, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I'm a regional manager at Avigilon and I will confirm that ud#3 hit the nail on the head for me if you were in my region. It does vary by region though but I think I can guess with pretty good certainty that ud#2 is not a dealer since his number is 5 times higher than reality and that is not a regional number.

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Apr 21, 2017

Yes, we are an Avigilon dealer. We're not exclusive to Avigilon, however on the VMS side we oftentimes use it as our software of choice. On the camera side we usually choose Axis first and Avigilon second. We're basically K12 only with a little in higher ed.

(1)
MM
Michael Miller
Apr 21, 2017

Basically, they are looking for dealers that know how to install IP solutions that are committed to installing quality solutions and supporting their customers.   If your looking to become a dealer to chase one bid on the street that will not be a good fit. 

(8)
U
Undisclosed #4
Apr 21, 2017
IPVMU Certified

(1)
(2)
(12)
Scott Smith
Apr 24, 2017
IPVMU Certified

The Process is slow and you will have to be patient. Usually about 6 months.

Green Field opportunities are a plus.

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #5
Apr 24, 2017

How not to approach a sales guys for a restricted access product like Lenel, Avigilon, Bosch, DMP etc. 

"Hey, this is Joe with Joe's Alarms and Satellite.  I was looking at some online municipal RFP's and would like to bid them with your stuff, the other dealer in town seems to spec a lot of it".

The correct way:

"Hey, this is Joe with Joe's Alarms and Satellite.  I've looked at your products and I have been working with your competitors.  I feel it's time to move up and I see my strongest markets aren't covered by your current VAR's.  We should discuss the process and see if it makes sense to partner up.  I'm sure I can bring you new opportunities to meet and exceed your sales requirements."

(8)
(3)
U
Undisclosed #4
Apr 24, 2017
IPVMU Certified

The Process is slow and you will have to be patient. Usually about 6 months.

Assuming the basic facts are in order, is there anything outside of the applicants control, that would prevent an established, otherwise qualified dealer from picking up line?

Like territorial saturation considerations etc?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #7
Apr 25, 2017

For my territory Avigilon restricts the quantity of dealers  to prevent oversaturation.  How well that holds up under the race to the bottom remains to be seen.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #4
Apr 25, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Thanks.

Are there corporate 'rules of engagement' between competing Avigilon dealers?

Armando Perez
Apr 25, 2017
Hoosier Security and Security Owners Group • IPVMU Certified

You have to be established, show competency, we had to show referrals and who we have gone up against in the past and we had to bring something to the table. They explore the business and your verticals to make sure they are not saturating a particular vertical in your market and may even have you agree to not use avigilon in certain markets where conflicts may exist. It wasnt an easy thing for us at our size when there are two much larger and established players in this market, but in the end, they saw something they liked in us. They are like no other vendor we have ever had.

(1)
(3)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions