Subscriber Discussion

What Do You Usually Charge For A Delayed Egress Door (Like In Nursing Homes)?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Sep 19, 2016

Recently I have been finding that I have been charging way too little for some projects.

What do you normally charge for a locally controlled egress door with the panic bar that allows the door to be opened after a while (usually found in nursing homes, etc..) The components are usually a maglock, two keypads, a local control board, and an exit bar such as a TSB-BK.

On a regular maglock access control door, I usually charge $1,500 for a single door and $1,200 per door for multiple doors. However here there is this extra panic bar, but there is no central control board.

Thanks

Brian Rhodes
Sep 19, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Is that a labor only cost, or does it include hardware too?

related: Security Integrator Hourly Rates 2016

UI
Sep 19, 2016

Labor and hardware. The customer wants a fixed price, and while I troubleshooted these before, I never installed them directly.

JE
Jim Elder
Sep 19, 2016
IPVMU Certified

I am a consultant who designs and budgets such things. If its a new door and the hardware can be specified, I would use a panic device with built in functionality. If its just a mag (delayed egress type), then your cost still sounds low.

I budget around $2500 for such doors and have budgeted as much as $20,000 (yes you heard that right) for the specialty versions; but I don't get holding the bag (usually) if that cost does not work...you do. I would give them two unit prices so you don't look like you milking your customer: one for the work at the door and connection to the system (because that is a relative constant); the other for wiring, conduit, etc based on a liner foot pricing, which can be field verified if needed. This could also be done with things like, power supplies, additional IO boards, bucket trucks or lifts, etc. Just make sure you define what EXACTLY it is your unit price includes and make sure the Customer understands and agrees. I would not ask an integrator to do this without giving him some wiggle room unless I was absolutely sure each and every door was the same (I cannot think anyplace where that would be the case).

Looking through your eyes, i can see many reasons why integrator's don't like unit prices, even though i call on them to do it many times. If this is a good customer though, and a reasonable person, you should be able to work through the issues. Just make sure you and he/she are on the same page.

(1)
UI
Sep 20, 2016

Thank you, this was a big help

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions