Subscriber Discussion

What Are You Using To Successfully Integrate Analog, HD Analog And IP Cameras?

BG
Brad Gillard
Aug 22, 2016
IPVMU Certified

A client has some specific needs and limitations.  The site is currently running all analog cameras.  They have a desire to upgrade.  The existing cabling must be used but there are some areas where Cat5e was run.  They need zero latency PTZs and domes in some areas so I think they should stay with analog there.  The remaining areas could be upgraded to HD Analog or IP depending on what cabling exists at those locations.

Of course, IP over coax is a possibility but I'm wondering what you guys have successfully used, if anything, to integrate all three technologies.

I don't believe there is much need for I/Os, alarms, etc.  Simply view and record. Remote access is not likely needed either.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Aug 23, 2016

IMO, you're making this too complex and are setting yourself up for an engineering challenge that need not be. Stick with as few technologies as possible, there is already coaxial and UTP cabling involved. So that means already there are switches, UTP range extenders, and coaxial range extenders involved. Adding multiple NVRs/encoders and differing range extenders for the different technologies involved would make for a long frustrating project with lots of long, difficult, pricey warranty calls.

Don't stay with analog. If you decide on CVI, TVI, HD Analog, or IP you will be, by default, impressing the client with the resolution improvement. Even a 720p camera will impress when switching from analog.

As for the zero latency PTZs - IP PTZs can have latency measured in milliseconds assuming the network is not a mess. That's nearly unnoticeable. Unless The Flash decided to pull night shift duty on a guard position you should be ok with IP.

U
Undisclosed #3
Aug 23, 2016
IPVMU Certified

As for the zero latency PTZs - IP PTZs can have latency measured in milliseconds...

Roughly how many milliseconds, round trip?

Meaning from the time you move the stick til you see the picture move.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Aug 23, 2016

Sounds like you want an integrated KBD also for control of the domes. What protocol are they?

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions