Subscriber Discussion

What Are Canted PTZs Good For?

Ari Erenthal
Aug 03, 2016
Chesapeake & Midlantic

So, the Bosch MIC 550 can be canted (leaned forward at a 45º angle) when mounted upright, and I'm trying to figure out what advantage that offers. Anyone ever use these cameras? Thanks.

U
Undisclosed #1
Aug 03, 2016
IPVMU Certified

It's so you can see directly below the base, no?

JR
John Robinson
Aug 03, 2016

I'm guessing that perhaps if it was over an entrance like a drive through, it might be able to see underneath a bit.

Related, I've going to experiment with "reverse canting" some low cost HIK PTZ's that are wall or pole mounted. They only have a 90 degree tilt up and when you zoom in tight, the focal point drops to the center of the original view. If it were mounted on top of a building and you wanted to zoom in on the outer edge of a parking lot that might be near the top of the frame, you can't do it.

I'm looking at "shimming" the bottom of the mount to cant it up about degrees to see if it helps. I figure the advantage gained from the far off zoom offsets what might be lost directly below. Pelco's always tilted to about 110 degrees which gave them a great zoom for far away objects.

(2)
CJ
Chris Johnston
Aug 03, 2016

You can mount the MIC on top of pole for example and by canting the camera head forward you are able to look directly below the camera avoiding a potential blind spot.

(1)
(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Aug 03, 2016

Aren't Germans always self-righteous?

U
Undisclosed #1
Aug 03, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Especially Kant.

JH
John Honovich
Aug 03, 2016
IPVM

From Bosch:

The canted version will allow the camera to see right under it. If the camera is upright and installed on top of the pole there will be blind spot right below the camera.

Also, consistent with what Chris above, from Bosch says.

(1)
Ari Erenthal
Aug 03, 2016
Chesapeake & Midlantic

Thanks, Chris and John.

U
Undisclosed #1
Aug 03, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Undiscloseds get no respect around here. :)

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions