Subscriber Discussion

What Advice For Installing 4 LPR Cameras On A Square Pole At An Intersection?

Maher Rayyan
Mar 20, 2017

I chose DWD for their '100 range which I did not find anywhere else. What do you have for me?

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Mar 20, 2017
IPVM

Maher, when you say DWD, do you mean Digital Watchdog? If so, which model? Any special conditions? Fast speed? Watchlist alerts? Multiple lanes? etc.

Maher Rayyan
Mar 22, 2017

Yes John, model 6K-LPR650AHD, 1080p 6-50mm Bullets. ADI part number.

It is going to be on a neighborhood street intersection on top of a hallow square pole 

JH
Jay Hobdy
Mar 21, 2017
IPVMU Certified

We usually use Uniview IPC242ER5-DL and they have a 22mm varifocal but for a specific application, it just was not enough.

We are currently trying out some Speco o2lpr67  cameras. They have up to 50mm varifocal.

The Univiews have quite a bit of adjustment in shutter speed, and exposure that allow you to adjust for different situations. 

I am not seeing those adjustments on the Speco but am literally in the middle of downloading video to send to Speco to see what they say.  The picture looks a bit grainy from the video I just pulled around 7:30 AM, but the camera is zoomed in pretty far and it may be a lighting issue...

Paul Grefenstette
Mar 23, 2017

If you are saying you are going to install 4 cameras on one pole for a 4 way intersection and expect to get plates night and day I'd say good luck.  Why one pole and what speeds at this intersection?  Are you also providing IR Illuminators or flash light, etc?

Maher Rayyan
Apr 01, 2017

Yes, they have the IR illuminators and because it is HOA with a budget and have a pole already they wanted them on that pole so they don't spend more on another pole. it is a 35 mph  intersection and the way the cars must go through the intersection it will enable the cameras to catch the Plate either from the front or the back

Jared Tarter
Apr 01, 2017
Milestone Systems

If you are using LPR software as opposed to just wanting to be able to see the license plates, be sure to read up on the requirements for the LPR software in regards to how the camera is installed and configured.  LPR software is very particular when it comes to angle of view, shutter speed in relation to vehicle speed, pixels on target for the plate, lighting, etc.  In short, there are a lot of variables that can cause LPR software to not produce good results.

Maher Rayyan
Apr 01, 2017

Thanks Jared,

we just want to see the licence plate when need to in an incident. It is my first time installing them and I don't know what do I need to do if any besides installing them and getting the right angle of view. Is special configuration needed or anything would I have to do?

JH
Jay Hobdy
Apr 02, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Depending on the environment, you may have to adjust the IR, exposure, shutter speed etc.

If you do not have remote access to the system, plan on making a trip out there when its dark to tweak things. IME it is not plug and play. And you may not catch every tag. Here in GA we only have rear tags so we contend with tail lights, brake lights, license plate lights. IPVM wrote a good report/article a while back but long story short, there are A LOT of variables from vehicle to vehicle that may not allow you to capture all tags.

We currently use an old expired tag, with a pole and orange traffic cone to get our camera adjusted properly. Do not rely on auto-focus because sometimes the camera focuses on another point. AF gets us close, then we we +/- a couple touches to get the tag sharper.

Sagy Amit
Apr 26, 2017

Disclosure: I work for an LPR manufacturer.

After 20+ years in the security industry, out of which 10+ in video analytics, I get insulted now, when people call LPR video analytics!

7 months in with a company that does LPR only, my eyes are open. 

1- Unlike VCA, LPR is a measureable science! We get 92%+ accuracy rates

2- For proper LPR reads you need a proper LPR camera. full time IR filter, correct IR illumination. high frame rate.

3- The U.S. is the most challenging LPR market in the world because of all the different states plates, graphics, vanity plates, and the fact that some states allow back license plate only.

4- For a proper read, you need a trigger. be it a ground loop, a laser, or an IR beam 

If LPR is mission critical, there are about a dozen manufacturers globally that do it well. half a dozen in the U.S.

If you are looking for accurate results with a $150 IR bullet, Good Luck! 

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions