Subscriber Discussion

What A Mess - Install Fail

Derek Ward
Apr 28, 2016
Hanwha

While at a local gas station, I noticed this install/wiring gem behind an open door:

This is totally unacceptable and my only hope is that someone is working at that site to rectify the mess. But hey, maybe I'm in the wrong and this is a common, usual scene at other gas stations and similar small establishments? I have literally no information as to whether or not this panel or area is even in use, but wouldn't the owner want this taken care of if this is easy for customers to notice?

(1)
Jon Dillabaugh
Apr 28, 2016
Pro Focus LLC

Was it a QuickieMart?

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Apr 28, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Looks like he's wired himself 15 hours of standby power using off-his-shelf components.

(4)
Jon Dillabaugh
Apr 28, 2016
Pro Focus LLC

Lol, but those are multi packs, for which each bottle is 5 hours, so you probably are looking at the equivalent of 5000VA!!

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Apr 28, 2016

I don't see the problem?

Mark Jones
Apr 28, 2016

I see this myself, frequently. Sometimes it is the result of a terrible install and obviously bad service, and just as frequently it is the result of the owner hiring more than one service company. Lots of very different hands in those panels, and yes, sometimes their own. Just one more reason we take pictures of every panel we touch, every time. Document, document, document.

(2)
Brian Karas
Apr 28, 2016
IPVM

Just one more reason we take pictures of every panel we touch, every time. Document, document, document.

That's an excellent idea. Do you make customers aware you do this, or is more for your own CYA purposes in case there is a dispute after the service visit?

Mark Jones
Apr 28, 2016

Both actually. We do it to CYA, and yes we ask first; a very few customers don't approve of it.

You might like to see this tag I deployed last week to all my techs. It started out just as a joke, but I wound up having them printed and distributed to my techs. The new tags are perforated and the bottom is returned to admin for tracking.
No matter when it was installed - 10, 20, 30 years ago, we are the company of record today. If you agree to take it, you own everything that ever happened to it.
We fix $5 dollar haircuts.
(1)
(3)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Apr 28, 2016

Mark,

I'm sure you receivd permission from the owner of the your "local" gas station to take the photo and post it on the internet since you mention its professional courtesy to ask first.

Jon Dillabaugh
Apr 28, 2016
Pro Focus LLC

If it was in plain sight to the public, it's not his problem. If you want something hidden from sight, close the door. The gas station cannot expect more privacy than the average walk in public person could see on a given day.

U
Undisclosed #1
Apr 28, 2016
IPVMU Certified

I'm sure you receivd permission from the owner of the your "local" gas station to take the photo and post it on the internet since you mention its professional courtesy to ask first...

Why would he need the permission of his "local" gas station for Derek's picture?

MM
Michael Miller
Apr 28, 2016

Derek you should check back at this location in 30 days or so to see if this was cleaned up.

Scott Gerrels
Apr 29, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Probably was a leased system, when he canceled his lease they took what they could (note they left the fire)

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions