Welcome Brian Karas To IPVM!

JH
John Honovich
Feb 25, 2016
IPVM

Join us in welcoming Brian Karas to IPVM. Brian has been an IPVM member for more than 7 years and one of the industry’s most insightful and prolific commentators. We are happy to have him join.

Brian will lead market research for IPVM. You will see him doing regular reports on business news, trends and companies. In particular, this will help us expand both the number of companies and the variety of topics we cover. Related, Brian will be more actively speaking and interacting with industry colleagues on the phone, in person and at events.

While IPVM has done a unique job of covering big stories and holding manufacturers accountable, we have been weak in covering the broader industry and maintaining more direct lines of communication with industry people. Brian's experience and focus will help rectify that.

If you have suggestions on what you'd like to see Brian cover, feel free to suggest below. You can also reach Brian at bkaras@ipvm.com

(10)
JH
John Honovich
Feb 25, 2016
IPVM

Note: since Brian most recently worked at Avigilon, to avoid any perceptions of bias for or against Avigilon, for a period of at least one year, he will not report on any Avigilon news (quarterly results, business announcements, etc.).

(3)
(1)
TD
Tinus Diedericks
Feb 25, 2016
Fantastic Brian, a man with a wealth of experience and looking forward to his reports. Well done to IPVM, great guy!
(1)
DL
David Lieberman
Feb 29, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Where's the "Like" button? Seriously, I appreciate the focus on ethics and avoiding the appearance of bias.

JH
John Honovich
Mar 01, 2017
IPVM

Brian has now been at IPVM for more than a year and will start writing posts on Avigilon.

Skip Cusack
Feb 25, 2016

Great addition to IPVM! Brian, I look forward to your insights and foresights!

JH
John Honovich
Feb 25, 2016
IPVM
Jason Glover
Feb 25, 2016

John and team.

Brian will bring a pulse to IPVM that has been missing. He's been in the trenches and understands the plights that both MFR's and integrators go through daily. Looking forward to his contribution to IPVM. Best of luck Brian.

JG

(3)
TC
Trisha (Chris' wife) Dearing
Feb 25, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Welcome, Brian!

Thanks, IPVM!

U
Undisclosed #1
Feb 25, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Overheard Somewhere on the Western Front

R.F.: Well, if there is nothing I can do to change your mind, then I would like to thank you for your immense contribution, and wish you the best with your new position at, uh, LPVM.

B.K.: Actually that's an 'I'

(long pause)

R.F.: Ha! Good one! Always the kidder right to the end...

(2)
(3)
Marty Major
Feb 25, 2016
Teledyne FLIR

Good to hear the news for you Brian!

Look forward to your reports... :)

Brian Karas
Feb 25, 2016
IPVM

Thanks for the welcome and comments. I look forward to increasing my involvement with IPVM.

(1)
Joel Kriener
Feb 25, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Brian,

It would be of interest to see more commentary on implementations and trends concerning heavy industrial environments. Many are niche'. For example, intrinsically safe camera installations and the supporting electronics in the field. Calibrated thermal cameras and specialty cameras used for monitoring hydrocarbon release detections. A recent example would be the California methane/ethane well that was leaking for weeks.

Best of luck and regards,

(2)
Brian Karas
Feb 25, 2016
IPVM

Joel - this is actually along the lines of stuff I'd like to do once we get caught up on a few other topics/etc. that John wants me to concentrate on first.

I was thinking of covering a few security systems that might not be everyday stuff. Similar to what you mentioned, or a large (multi-thousand channel) system, etc. Things that you might not come across every day.

I was also thinking of doing a couple "a day in the life of" articles focusing on some jobs at integrators or large security end-users. Provide some insight on how "successful" businesses are run that maybe people can glean some tips or ideas from.

If you have other ideas, please feel free to share :)

(4)
JH
John Honovich
Feb 25, 2016
IPVM

"this is actually along the lines of stuff I'd like to do once we get caught up on a few other topics/etc. that John wants me to concentrate on first."

To expand on that, and I guess be the bad guy :), the 'first' priority is core business reporting (because of its broad appeal and timeliness).

That said, Brian has a wealth of knowledge in many technical / application areas, so as he gets settled in, look forward him to cover more topics like yours.

(1)
Joel Kriener
Mar 01, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Core business is great John, however do not loose the opportunity to utilitize the potential of someone that may have first hand knowledge of the niche' areas I mentioned. They may not be the most glamorous or commonly known but they do have a unique place for many of us out here in the 'trenches'.

regards,

(2)
Gary Tryon
Feb 26, 2016
ReddWare

Fantastic to hear of your new career at IPVM and I look forward to reading your reports on business news, trends and companies. One year will go by very fast! All my best Gary

Sagy Amit
Feb 26, 2016

Great news and congratulations, Brian! Looking forward to future insights on the industry.

Luis Carmona
Feb 26, 2016
Geutebruck USA • IPVMU Certified

Wow! Good to see.

GN
Greg Nuckles
Feb 27, 2016
IPVMU Certified

This move strengthens my belief that IPVM is a world class organization!

(1)
MC
Matt Carusone
Feb 28, 2016

Brian . . . Great news and congratulations! Looking forward to your reports and the rock-solid credibility you bring to the research. -Matt C.

DN
Dan Norris
Feb 28, 2016
Good to see you keep moving in they right direction. Congratulations.
Dave Zandan
Feb 28, 2016
1 Volt Associates
Nice move for IPVM congrats Brian!!
SP
Sean Patton
Feb 29, 2016

Woah! Great move, BK is one of the sharpest (and funniest) takes in the industry.

Ari Erenthal
Mar 01, 2016
Chesapeake & Midlantic

Looking forward to reading Brian's stuff. He's smart, funny, and insightful.

Scott Gerrels
Mar 02, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Does this mean we might get more favorable Avigilon reporting John? hah

Edit: I didn't read your statement about Avigilon on the next line.... let the Avigilon bashing commence! :)

JH
John Honovich
Mar 02, 2016
IPVM

"Does this mean we might get more favorable Avigilon reporting John? hah

Edit: I didn't read your statement about Avigilon on the next line.... let the Avigilon bashing commence! :)"

Oh brother!

Today's coverage is pretty decent all in all: Avigilon Announces Solid Financials to End 2015

AF
Andy Farmer
Mar 04, 2016

Great job Brian! Wishing you continued success. You will do well in your new endeavor.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions