Subscriber Discussion

Weird Glass Break False Alarm: Pretzels

U
Undisclosed #1
Mar 01, 2017

Last week, at home with the family with my alarm system armed in stay mode, the alarm started going off due to a glass break in my sun room. 

I went to take a look to see what was going on, only to find the alarm had been triggered when my kids accidentally dumped a container of pretzels on the floor. One of these types of plastic barrel containers. 

I thought they'd at least dropped a glass or something to cause it to alarm, but no, just the barrel and pretzels falling on the floor. Has anyone else seen glass break detectors alarm on very odd (not glass at all) things?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Mar 01, 2017

dropped pots and pans are common. 

Im not sure but I would speculate that the barrel itself could make the low frequency noise required and the pretzels could make the higher frequency noise required to trigger the alarm. 

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Mar 01, 2017

Yes, barking dogs in the same room, action movies on TV, especially  depicting explosions, and back fire noise from automobiles, just to name a few.

Most times I program them to be active in the away mode, but sometimes in both stay and away.

Ari Erenthal
Mar 01, 2017

Embarrassing story time: the first time I used an acoustic sensor was in the master bathroom of a very nice house. High ceilings, marble everything- weird acoustics, in other words. I had armed the panel in STAY mode, which left all the glassbreaks on. Nature called, and I chose to answer that call in the nicest bathroom I had ever seen, because why not?

I had a big ol janitor-style key ring with a thousand keys on it hanging from my belt. As soon as my keys hit the marble floor, the glass break falsed, setting off the sirens and scaring the... living daylights out of me. 

Last time I put an acoustic in a marble-lined room, let me tell you. The reason I'm so good at my job is because I have slowly and methodically made every mistake it is possible to make. 

(3)
U
Undisclosed #5
Mar 02, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I had a big ol janitor-style key ring with a thousand keys on it...

Sounds like that ring would make a handy glass break tester tool, did it come with a datasheet?

Brian Rhodes
Mar 01, 2017
IPVMU Certified

There is a local daycare that installed glassbreaks in the indoor play area.  The variety of FA causing objects in that room is significant.  Toys hitting the floor, thumps, thuds, sudden shrieks, etc.

I helped them decide to reconfigure those glassbreaks so they were no longer part of the 'stay' arming zones and only on 'away' to solve the issue.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #4
Mar 01, 2017

Happens all the time at my house. Kids get up early on Saturday morning and they start clanking their chairs on the wood floor, or trying to climb up on the shelves and drop something. BAM, glass break. One of them dropped a bowl of cereal off the table one day, that was fun.

Ive shied away from glassbreaks because of that. Any change in acoustics makes all the work you did setting it up pointless. Then they go and get a yip dog and its even worse.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions