Subscriber Discussion

DVR Remote Viewing - Port Forwarding Problem

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Sep 12, 2016

Please help me here

Im setting DVR for remote viewing. I managed to set everything for port forwarding now when i input the ip address of the DVR on the internet browse nothing comes out. What can be the problem?

Josh Hendricks
Sep 12, 2016
Milestone Systems

Have a look at http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/

It will allow you to test whether the port forwarding is working correctly.

Also make sure you are using the public IP address of the router and not the LAN IP of the DVR for access over the WAN.

If the IP starts with 192.168 or 172.16 or 10, that is a private IP address and won't work over the WAN.

If you're connected to the same network as the DVR you should be able to Google "what is my ip" to determine the public IP address.

For more help we'd probably need to know the make/model of the DVR for starters.

Side note, some CPE from ISP's make port forwarding challenging depending on the type of network connection and whether the "modem" is operating in a bridged/transparent mode or some other configuration where the modem gives a LAN IP to the router. Hopefully that's not the case for you but it's not insurmountable.

(2)
UI
Sep 12, 2016

Dahua DVR

Model: DH-DVR3116E

JH
John Honovich
Sep 12, 2016
IPVM

Joshua, thanks!

1, What make / model is the DVR? Most DVRs today include a remote access service that allows you not to port forward. That's generally the easier / better long term approach.

UI
Sep 12, 2016

Dahua DVR

Model: DH-DVR3116E

JH
John Honovich
Sep 12, 2016
IPVM

Try Dahua's Easy4IP, instructions here. It is designed to enable remote access without port forwarding.

(1)
UI
Sep 12, 2016

Thank you i will try it a give you feedback

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions