Subscriber Discussion

Water Droplets On Camera Lens

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Nov 22, 2016

We have mounted 360 degree camera's on poles vertically outside and find rain water droplets sit on top of the lense distorting the picture for a while. What is the best way to deal with this. We want the camera mounted vertically to give the full image required. 

JH
John Honovich
Nov 22, 2016
IPVM

#1, good question. I'll let others with more experience here offer recommendations. One post we have that is related is: Rain Camera Shootout

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
Nov 23, 2016

I cringe every time I see a dome camera mounted vertically. This is not how these cameras are designed to be installed. No only will you get the water drops that dry on the lens but you also expose the bubble to acid rain that will eat away at the bubble and make your image reflect off the frayed surface of the bubble.

Other problems with this mounting option are filth on the bubble and moisture build up inside the dome from water creeping in to dome over time due to the silicon seal being exposed to sunlight. If you can't mount a dome under a soffit you need to use a wall mount bracket.

Sean Nelson
Nov 23, 2016
Nelly's Security

use rain-x or WD40, but i assume rainx will last longer. Water slides right off and doesnt dry with residue. will have to apply every so often though

(1)
RD
Roman Dabrowski
Nov 23, 2016

There are some domes with wipers, Canon had one and I think Xstream has a wiper enclosure. Maybe an air-puffer system like the Videtech housings use couldn't work. All depends on your budget!!

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions