Subscriber Discussion

Beware Deceiving - "Homeland Security Research Corporation"

Sagy Amit
Apr 15, 2013

I recently received an e-mail from a colleague asking me if I am interested in buying this market research analysis. Since the numbers did not make sense I did a little research of my own and found out why. Take a look.

Scroll down to the bottom where one small "fine print" line reads:

(*) including: systems sales, installation and aftersale revenues (i.e., service and upgrades)

Who is this analysis suppose to serve anyways?

JH
John Honovich
Apr 15, 2013
IPVM

Sagy, quite literally, I think you are their target market :) Or at least manufacturers, in general.

I have an interesting story here. A video analytics manufacturer reached out to me a few months ago asking why IPVM content was in a report by the company you are citing ("Homeland Security Research"). It turns out they had copied and pasted large sections of IPVM into their $4,500+ report. I spoke with the 'research' firm, and they admitted the 'error'.

I have no idea who would spend this money but I would strongly recommend against it, especially with this firm. Typically, the 'analysts' have no industry experience, grab things online, collate some notes from phone interviews and pull numbers out of their ass.

So in answer to your question, "Who is this analysis suppose to serve?" The answer is suckers.

I don't know how these places stay in business, but I imagine, at the rates they charge per report, and the low salaries the 'analysts' get, they only need to sell a handful of each 'report' to stay afloat.

U
Undisclosed #1
Jul 25, 2017
IPVMU Certified

So in answer to your question, "Who is this analysis suppose to serve?" The answer is suckers.

Yes, but who are the suckers?

JH
John Honovich
Jul 24, 2017
IPVM

This "Homeland Security Research Corporation" is still around.

Their most recent report on 'video analytics' is especially laughable. They include companies that were acquired many years ago, like ioimageIntellivid, Cernium, VideoIQ, Vidient, etc. Also, Hikvision was omitted...

I can't imagine many people buy this but at a starting price of $4,950 for information that is way off, it's sad.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Jul 25, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Usually you can get a sample page or two for free.  But apparently this stuff is too valuable and too much in demand to allow it ;)

(2)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #3
Jul 25, 2017

I can't imagine many people buy this but at a starting price of $4,950 for information that is way off, it's sad.

People... cities, still buy Cisco surveillance without being informed. So what's the surprise? :)

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Jul 25, 2017

They left BRS Lab off?  

(2)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions