VP Of Sales Vs Marketing

JH
John Honovich
Feb 23, 2017
IPVM

Good post from Bruce Cleveland, Wildcat Venture Partners, key excerpt:

Sales and Marketing are vastly different functions that require substantially different personalities, skills, and decades of experience to master.

Someone who is a head of Sales must have an in-depth understanding of current key deals in the sales pipeline, a deep sense of the probability of whether those deals will close, and what it will take for them to close. Sales is primarily a 1:1, short-term focus game and success is predicated upon a career of working closely with potential buyers and companies. In many cases, the sales role may require someone to travel and meet with prospects to gauge for themselves whether or not a deal is really a deal. Sales is the realm of great oral communicators.

The head of Marketing, on the other hand, must develop and maintain an in-depth understanding of the overall market and the company's brand in that market. To do this, the Marketing executive must constantly work with industry analysts, the media, execute tradeshows, develop presentations and material for keynotes, and generate content for the web and social media.

I think this is relevant to our industry as well.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Feb 23, 2017

Armando Perez
Feb 24, 2017
Hoosier Security and Security Owners Group • IPVMU Certified

Absolutely. I cringe when I see a position that includes both unless it's a high level c position or better yet, a training position. Even then, the only reason to have that would be to ensure that sales and marketing are putting out a cohesive message and not contradicting each other as so often happens.

SP
Sean Patton
Feb 24, 2017

For the technical types:

Sales: Unicast TCP

Marketing: Broadcast UDP

(1)
(1)
(3)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions