Subscriber Discussion

VMS Preference For Synology NAS? Exacq? Milestone?

U
Undisclosed
Sep 23, 2015

Hi All!

I ordered 8 Samsung SNV-7084R domes and a Synology DS1815+ NAS with 24TB of storage to start. I am debating on what VMS to put on the NAS. I am looking at Milestone, Surveillance Station (Synology) or Exact (if I can find a dealer / get a price). Does anyone have any experience with the systems or recommendations?

JH
John Honovich
Sep 23, 2015
IPVM

Chris, can you run Milestone and Exacq on a Synology NAS? I didn't think so but maybe I am wrong.

MM
Michael Miller
Sep 23, 2015

You can use the Synology as a storage target but the only VMS that you can run on it is Surveillance Station

(1)
U
Undisclosed
Sep 23, 2015

Even with a windows 8 vm? I would assume the HW specs meet the requirements

MM
Michael Miller
Sep 23, 2015

You still need a host to run the VM.

Christopher Uiterwyk
Sep 24, 2015
IPConfigure

IPConfigure's Orchid VMS runs native on NAS devices like Synology. http://www.ipconfigure.com/products/orchid

(1)
MM
Michael Miller
Sep 24, 2015

Chris that is cool. Is your app avaible through Synology's Package Center? Can you still use the Synology as a NAS while your VMS is running? I have a 8 bay Synology and would like to test it out if possible.

Christopher Uiterwyk
Sep 24, 2015
IPConfigure

We wipe the NAS device, load Ubuntu and then install Orchid VMS. We don't allow Orchid to co-exist with the NAS software since the processor is so limited and Orchid needs the resources for motion detection.

(1)
Aaron Saks
Sep 24, 2015

(Samsung Employee)

You can have the cameras record directly to the NAS, then use the included License-Free Samsung SmartViewer software to view the cameras live/playback.

You can also download the latest version from:

http://www.samsungsecurity.com/product/product_view.asp?idx=6275&cid=83&clvl=0

(1)
U
Undisclosed
Oct 01, 2015

Any thoughts on a decent iOS viewer to go with the system?

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions