Vivint Rep Goes #BEASTMODE, Celebrates $1,400 In 8 Hours

JH
John Honovich
Jul 13, 2018
IPVM

The Facebook discussion of IPVM's report on Rapid Response Partnering with Amazon/Ring has devolved into ADT and Vivint sales reps arguing with each other. One of the commenters has some interesting posts, such as:

Thoughts?

One thing that comes to mind, in the context of the growing battle with Amazon, is that (A) Vivint and ADT are going to be hard to beat for customers that appreciate or accept the direct, high touch approach but that (B) those high sales costs, while great for beastmoding sales reps require the traditional companies to be at a significant structural cost disadvantage.

What do you think?

Sean Nelson
Jul 13, 2018
Nelly's Security

Great for the guy. Those vivint guys are beasts!

But yeah, Vivint rapes you with monthly fee's. It will be tough for them to compete against the DIY in the upcoming years with prices so publically advertised all the time. One value added thing Vivint and other alarm companies over the DIY stuff is the smart zwave features that can be added to the alarm panels. That stuff isnt usually included in the DIY kits. One could aruge all that stuff is easily available thru Amazon as well. 

Also, I still think there will always be a market for the customer who wants to install themselves, even though that market may be shrinking

Honestly, I am always suprised how Vivint does so well with the compartively higher fee's.

(1)
Daniel S-T
Jul 13, 2018

Some people have a very strange way of thinking of costs. When I worked for a residential alarm company, and APX/Vivint  first came into our city, we thought it was so crazy how many clients we were losing. We charged somewhere around $19.99-$21.99/month for regular Land line monitoring, and I think it was like another $7 a month for Cellular. But you had to purchase equipment upfront.

So people would have no problems paying up to $60/month from APX/Vivint, because it saved them the $250-400 equipment costs we happened to charge. From a new client with no alarm panel, I guess I understand this, but people who had already had alarms in their houses were switching too. And APX/Vivint just royally screwed up those panels in the early days, so if the customer switched back (and APX/Vivint took their equipment with them) their old alarm panel was no longer functional anyway.

I've moved on from that company, but Vivint was getting more business doing the smart home stuff, which that company I worked for was not getting into, at the time I left (four something years ago).

Brian Rhodes
Jul 13, 2018
IPVMU Certified

Yikes.  I believe his claim, though.  It is far off what #beastmode means for others: Make $1000 Per Hour Hustling Alarm Systems!

U
Undisclosed #1
Jul 13, 2018

Vivint Reps are the main reason I have a security system. One of those guys stuck his foot in my door once to keep me from closing it.

(2)
JH
John Honovich
Jul 13, 2018
IPVM

#1, good feedback, in retrospect, has it been worth it?

U
Undisclosed #1
Jul 15, 2018

Tongue in cheek, but haven't had Vivint door knocker problems since I put cameras up...so yes.

JH
Jay Hobdy
Jul 13, 2018
IPVMU Certified

I am not impressed at all. I wonder how many have buyers remorse a couple weeks later.

I can sleep a lot better at night knowing we didn't pull a slick willy.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Jul 15, 2018

I am skeptical, 10 sales over 8 hours including travel time, contract signing etc... 

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions