Subscriber Discussion

Hacks Striking Old Dahua Units

Mick Brown
Sep 20, 2017

we are seeing a number of old dahua units we sold in uk being hacked yesterday and today

dahua helpful support is their old

these are in majour fast food resellers

with 20 going down in one retailer in an hour and 5 in another

the dahua virus epidemic has hit dahua hard here

anybody experiencing this let me know if you have a fix

(2)
JH
John Honovich
Sep 20, 2017
IPVM

A Greek Dahua dealer is reporting the same thing today: Hacked Dahua recorders. Greek market. Excerpt:

Many Dahua recorders [DVR, HCVR, XVR, NVR] with default ports & user codes, have also experienced wide spread hacking during last week.

THE MOST USUAL SYMPTOMS ARE:

- IP address changed to unknown.

- Black channels with no Dahua logo.

- Locked users.

(1)
Mick Brown
Sep 20, 2017

dahua are saying any unit over three years they wont support

this would effect 100000 units in the uk if they are online

just on ones we sold

(1)
(1)
Mick Brown
Sep 20, 2017

What annoys me is this serious cyber issue has been put off as propaganda by ipvm

we could have potentially 100000 dahua dvrs nvrs to deal with as it just seems to be an industry issue of fire and forget

(1)
(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Sep 20, 2017
IPVMU Certified

What annoys me is this serious cyber issue has been put off as propaganda by ipvm

What do you mean?

Mick Brown
Sep 20, 2017

Every time there is a discussion on hacking it's very quickly dismissed by all the hik followers distributors intergrators as just ipvm picking on hikvision

U
Undisclosed #1
Sep 20, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Every time there is a discussion on hacking it's very quickly dismissed by all the hik followers distributors intergrators as just ipvm picking on hikvision

Actually Hik distributors would prefer Dahua hacking reports be more visible.

(2)
SL
Shane Lott
Sep 20, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Hi IPVM,

I am an Australian Based integrator and saw this issue present itself with the very first unit that I installed, a 16ch HDCVI DVR.

Response I received from my supplier, a Dahua partner, was outstanding!.

I had a firmware update emailed to me within the hour and on attending site, issue was resolved within an hour.

Had to update firmware, default unit, reset all passwords and recreate remote access credentials however it is now fixed.

Regards,

Shane

JH
John Honovich
Sep 20, 2017
IPVM

Shane, how long ago was that issue? Recent or?

MM
Michael Miller
Sep 20, 2017

Not sure if this is the same issue but I am seeing posts on some facebook groups with people claiming hacked Dahua DVRs/NVRS today. 

(1)
SL
Shane Lott
Sep 21, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Hi John,

The issue was on an older version HDCVI 16 channel and my client advised me 1 week ago.

I immediately consulted my supplier and asked if there were any "known issues" with the "hacked" scenario, and they took a whole of 10min to call me back with advice on a firmware upgrade followed by factory default and then reset up of DVR.

I received the firmware via email, downloaded to USB, went to site and had the issue resolved in around a 3 hour same day turnaround.

Client appreciated the resolution from manufacturer to supplier and my support.

I have had outstanding support from my supplier and Dahua as a whole and cannot commend them enough.

Regards,

Shane Lott

Mick Brown
Sep 21, 2017

You must be one of the nicest installers on earth

in the uk our installer wants compensation to go back to site

they have already fitted a dvr nvr

at a tight price and then sending engineer back to site costs money

and dahua hik expect it all to be done for free

Mick Brown
Sep 21, 2017

You may not know how hard Dujiangyan tried to throw its old partners under the bus

we get oem sw according to dahua it's a cut down modified version

and the full version doesn't work on oem dvrs

so with a new version from dahua for us these dvr have had it

the also limited us to 1 year warranty and 3 years for brand

in fact when dahua went brand in uk their brand partners couldn't tell customers fast enough they had the a grade firmware where as we had the b grade

U
Undisclosed #1
Sep 21, 2017
IPVMU Certified

You may not know how hard Dujiangyan tried to throw its old partners under the bus

Maybe it's water under the (Dujiangyan) bridge?

Mick Brown
Sep 20, 2017

I take it it's a new unit 

apparently product from dahua prior to 2016 doesn't qualify for support so that equates to about 100 k dvr nvr for us

it must be similar for large multinationals like flir who own lorex

where is their data on hacked dvrs

they have corporate responsibility to declare it for shaeholders

maybe. Ipvm could ask why they havent

JH
John Honovich
Sep 21, 2017
IPVM

New (Sep 21st) report from Belgium:

We are facing in recent hours a major wave of piracy, on the DAHUA brand recorders.

This time we are facing a resurgence of these attacks since yesterday, 19 September.

That report claims the hacks are using the default passwords but it is not clear if that distributor is even aware of the Dahua backdoor which allows taking over the record even with a strong password.

(1)
UD
Undisclosed Distributor #2
Sep 21, 2017

While I appreciate the huge security event occurring here, I am seeing that this is happening because they are still set to the default ports and login credentials.  Having worked in IT for 30 years, if someone breaches your system because you left everything involved with accessing it at its default value, the system is not at fault - YOU ARE.  This is not a "hack" this is exploiting unprofessional installers/end users who have not changed their login credentials.

If this is not the case and these systems are being accessed through non-standard means then I retract my accusation of fault, but not the definition of what it is to be "hacked".  It's like shouting "fire" in a crowded theater, it immediately inspires panic, but shout "flood" and nothing happens.

JH
John Honovich
Sep 21, 2017
IPVM

I am seeing that this is happening because they are still set to the default ports and login credentials. 

There are easily hundreds of thousands of Dahua devices vulnerable to the backdoor.

So could some of these be a victim of default passwords? Sure. But the Dahua backdoor is a real security issue and to the extent that this is being exploited I think Dahua users should be somewhat panicked.

UD
Undisclosed Distributor #2
Sep 21, 2017

Exactly why I appended the retraction if it was not the case of unchanged login credentials.

UE
Undisclosed End User #3
Sep 22, 2017
JH
John Honovich
Sep 22, 2017
IPVM

Good find #3! Thanks.

Quote from that:

There is a group of people hacking into Dahua DVR's all over the world, we are experiencing allot here is Gujarat, what you need to do is disconnect your DVR from the network, do a complete factory default, add two new users and passwords , delete the admin user, change ports and upgrade your firmware before connecting it back to the internet.

Note: Guajarat is in India.

UE
Undisclosed End User #3
Sep 22, 2017

More and more showing up in Google searches..

Visiotech: How to secure your Dahua recorders against Online Attacks

http://vlab.su/viewtopic.php?f=270&t=64841

CCTVForum: Hacked DVR--Dahua

(1)
(1)
JH
John Honovich
Sep 23, 2017
IPVM

Update we communicated with a number of Dahua customers whose recorders have been hacked and repeatedly they mention their camera labels being changed to 'Hacked 1', 'Hacked 2', etc. like so:

(2)
(1)
UE
Undisclosed End User #3
Sep 23, 2017

https://blog.setik.biz/dahua-hacked-apparati-di-videosorveglianza-a-rischio/

/*

In the last few days, news of a huge hacker attack on the Italian network has blocked nearly 6,000 Dahua recording apps, only from our channel, over 800 calls between September 19 and 21, regarding Dahua Hackerati recorders.

*/

Mick Brown
Sep 23, 2017

There is a difference in firmware between oem and dahua brand

oem is a cut down version so an oem dahua dvr nvr can't be fixed with update dahua firmware dahua themselves have to give the oem updated firmware

rather risk a costly return to site and then no fix 

take a new dvr nvr along 

take out the old

units hard drive put it in the newone

and at least be sure

of a working product bare bones dvr nvr are in expensiVe

leas than return visits

(1)
Justin Gant
Sep 23, 2017
7PiXL

I stopped by one of our old customers today to look at his DVR, looks like the local only account 888888 was accessed via the internet. I’ve got the logs and will upload them when I get home. 

UE
Undisclosed End User #3
Sep 23, 2017

From: https://github.com/mcw0/PoC/blob/master/dahua-backdoor-PoC.py

# 6) The admin account '888888' is claimed by Dahua to be limited for local login with 'monitor and mouse' only, and not from remote
# - However, that validation is done locally in users browser by 'loginEx.js', and has therefore no practical effect

(2)
Brian Karas
Sep 23, 2017
IPVM

So they are doing *client side* validation of determining if the user attempting to use the 8888888 account is local or not??

UE
Undisclosed End User #3
Sep 23, 2017

Correct.

[....]

function loginWeb(a,b,c,d)
{
if(a=="888888")return-8;

[....]

(1)
(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Sep 23, 2017
IPVMU Certified

function loginWeb(a,b,c,d)

Redundant front-end code, to provide a better error response, I'm hoping.

But I wouldn't be surprised if that was all that was guarding the store :(

UE
Undisclosed End User #3
Sep 23, 2017

Not redundant code, that's the only piece of code to "prevent" user '888888' for logging in at older firmware versions.

Can easily be verified by looking into;

/js/login.js: function login()

/js/loginEx.js: function loginWeb()

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Sep 23, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Not redundant code, that's the only piece of code to "prevent" user '888888' for logging in at older firmware versions.

I just clicked on the github link.  Until then I didn't realize this was a bashis claim.  Then it must be so :)

Mick Brown
Sep 24, 2017

Buy a shovel dig a big hole throw that toxic dvr in it

Mick Brown
Sep 24, 2017

http://discovermagazine.com/~/media/Images/Issues/2015/jan-feb/ebola_waste.jpg

(1)
MM
Michael Miller
Sep 25, 2017

A lot more chatter about this on some facebook groups.  This was in the last 4 hours. Some are mentioning Honeywell, GEN IV and ICRealtime systems further down the post. 

Mick Brown
Sep 25, 2017

Dahua brand and oem have different firmware

all waiting on new firmware on oem

from dahua

our update after severe pressure on dahua we may get Wednesday 

this has dragged on too long

dahua disowned all their old partners

so best of luck getting Gen iv or ic realtime firmware updates

both were dahua oem

buy a shovel bury that toxic dvr nvr

you can't keep going back to site 

buy a new one

Justin Gant
Sep 25, 2017
7PiXL

Here are the logs from one compromised NVR, 

https://pastebin.com/pKEMdQJZ

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions