Subscriber Discussion

Videoiq/Avigilon Vs Viasys/Axis Solution

U
Undisclosed #1
Sep 10, 2014

I'm looking into designing a car dealership with video analytics using either VideoIQ using Avigilon 1Mp Lightcatcher cameras or the VIASYS with Axis 1mp lightfinder cameras on a Exacq system.. The lot is 450' X 450' and I would like to install 4 cameras protecting the perimeter form intruders. Will 1 camera be able to detect the whole 450 feet?

DW
David Westberry
Sep 10, 2014
IPVMU Certified

I dont have first hand experience with those products but I think it is going to depend on where you intend to mount these cameras and the PPF requirements of your analytics. I would think it could be possible but my gut tells me you will likely need more cameras for better performance. If you can get this information the calculator on this site can be a tremendous help.

On a side note if you spec projects like this on any kind of regular basis I can highly recommend the IP Camera Course offered by IPVM for the skills needed to make decicions like this. I am no way affiliated with IPVM beyond being a member and taking the class.

JH
John Honovich
Sep 13, 2014
IPVM

I'll start with VideoIQ/Avigilon first, as we have recently tested the Rialto.

For 450', you probably should look at 2 cameras to cover each side, assuming 2MP cameras. Coverage width is impacted by resolution - greater resolution, greater coverage area. By contrast, D1/VGA would be considerably narrower.

Another way to think about it is looking at the ppf involved. At 1080p over 450', that's ~4ppf, which is quite low. You could use thermal, I suppose and cover a wider range but, of course, significantly higher price for thermal cameras.

VIASYS worries me. You are literally the first person to ask for them in quite some time. I did see them starting to market again recently, but the lack of interest / presence for them is a yellow flag.

They make big claims, including supporting really old SD Axis cameras, but good analytics tend to take a lot of processing power (and more resolution). The user manual does not say anything about distance / width / coverage area but does require some specific configuration which likely will require trial and error.

(2)
AD
Andrew Del Biondo
Sep 14, 2014
Does this application entail detecting an intruder and sending a visual verification to an off site control room? If so, probability of detection is most likely a priority but so will be reducing the nuisance and false alarm rates.
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions