Subscriber Discussion

How Do I Create A Video Wall To Display 97 Cameras At Once?

Bobby Mancia Jr.
Jan 19, 2017
MIZELA CORPORATION • IPVMU Certified

We have a building project that requires a total of 97 cameras: 94 - 720P Dome, 2 - 1080P Dome and 1 - 2MP PTZ. What NVR/Matrix/multiplexers do I need to use to generate all video output at the same time using 5 - 46" Monitors?

Thank you for your response in advance.

JS
Jacob Schmukler
Jan 19, 2017

Bobby,

I know someone at PrimeView in NYC.  This is what they do and they are excellent at it.

Let me know if you want to connect.

-Jacob

(1)
Bobby Mancia Jr.
Jan 19, 2017

Thanks Jacob, I will take note on that and we'll let you know.

Josh Hendricks
Jan 19, 2017
Milestone Systems

If you haven't selected a VMS/NVR yet, then the world is your oyster. You have a lot of options.

I'm a backline support manager at Milestone and if you went the XProtect Corporate or XProtect Expert route, you would use the Smart Wall feature which allows you to dynamically update view layouts and cameras within a video wall from other operator workstations which also run Smart Client.

We also have a few video wall partners including Barco, Spectrum and Eyevis.

(1)
(1)
(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Jan 19, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Thanks Joshua, let me go through your recommendations.

MM
Michael Miller
Jan 19, 2017

As Joshus mentioned if you haven't picked a VMS/Camera solution you have many options.   Avigilon has there Virtual Matrix solution which is free with the Enterprise software.  Most other VMS solution charge extra for the video wall feature so deffently look around a different options to find the best fit for your needs. 

(1)
Bobby Mancia Jr.
Jan 19, 2017

Thank you Michael, we will check Avigilon Virtual Matrix solution.

JH
Jay Hobdy
Jan 19, 2017
IPVMU Certified

We have a few clients running 4 monitors off a purpose built work station/server and they are running Dahua's Smart PSS. Just peel off multiple live views and put each live view onto a different screen.

Bobby Mancia Jr.
Jan 19, 2017

Jay, we wanted to view all the camera at the same time, which means streaming all 97 cameras and view the on the video wall using split screen. Using one client to control every camera.

PK
Patrick Kelly
Jan 19, 2017

Full Disclosure - I work for Digital Watchdog 

Bobby, 

This can be accomplished with DW Spectrum either with the Spectrum's client multi monitor capability or dynamically pushing layouts and camera views from other workstations with Spectrum's video wall capability. 

I can show you how if you are interested.

Thanks, 

Patrick 

(1)
(1)
Bobby Mancia Jr.
Jan 19, 2017

Patrick thank you, we will contact you after we go through the many recommendations.

Jon Dillabaugh
Jan 26, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

I second the use of Spectrum. I know that Patrick didn't mention this, but regardless of how these cameras are recorded, you could use Spectrum for free to simply live view the camera feeds, if nothing else. Obviously, if playback on the video wall is needed, you would also need to buy Spectrum licenses to record the feeds.

We have Spectrum in use at a site that has multiple security stations and each one has four displays being driven by a single PC. Each display is capable of up to 64 camera views, for a total of 256 total cameras across the four displays. This could be expanded, but we are running short on CPU power (i7-4770) due to much higher pixel counts than you are proposing here. We have a mixture of traditional analog (D1/4CIF), 3MP, 4MP, and 12MP cameras. The 4MP and 4K/12MP cameras are starting to take a toll on available CPU resources.

So if you plan on driving the five displays from a single PC, plan on maxing out the CPU selection and remember to pick decent graphics cards too (nVidia GTX 970/1070 or above).

(1)
Don Kennedy
Jan 19, 2017

Here is one that is free for IP Camera display.

It works with all IP Cameras that support pulling snapshots using HTTP or HTTPS methods and works with all Internet browser capable devices from computers to tablets and phones and TV's.

http://foscam.us/forum/showing-secure-methods-using-php-to-display-your-ip-cameras-t8721.html#p42139

The benefit of going this route ("I am the author of this Interface") is you don't need to stream the IP Cameras and you can control the FPS ("Frames Per Second") rate. The paid version ("$9.95 U.S.") allows you to use IP Camera controls as well. On a per IP Camera basis. You can also use a unique User Id and Password to access the Interface if you desire. You can also embed text and/or images in the IP Cameras image as well.

Don

U
Undisclosed #2
Jan 20, 2017

The real question --- why the hell would anyone want to do that? Does anyone actually think they are accomplishing anything useful from a security perspective by doing that?

No doubt that is one of the coolest-looking and most useless features/functions in all of the video surveillance market.

(3)
Bobby Mancia Jr.
Jan 20, 2017

That answer is: This is a requirement from the end user tagged as "valued customer". We try to accomplish difficult request from a demanding customer and we will try our best to accomplish their requirements to make them happy, else we leave that customer and other integrator accomplish what we cannot do.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #2
Jan 20, 2017

Sorry Bobby -- my comment was not aimed at you directly. We all work to satisfy the requirements of our customers, even when they don't always make sense.

That said, I'd see this more as an opportunity for consultation with and educating of the end-user. Perhaps there is a valid reason for wanting this, but I personally cannot fathom what that would be. :)

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #4
Jan 23, 2017

Bobby,

The question I don't see asked is what is the expectation of those 97 cameras?  Does the customer require a full Live framerate for each camera?

For most Videowall/Multiscreen Clients the issue is one of decoding multiple Megapixel streams at the same time is that the horsepower for Software CPU & GPU decoding eventually runs out.  In many instances this will mean a progressive reduction in resolution or FPS that can be displayed - Something has to Give.

Existing customers with analogue resolution streams (usually those migrating from a Matrix) will possibly have a manageable through put, however longer term the migration to ever higher Megapixel devices will increase bitrates exponentially to the point the display will suffer.

Trans-coding streams is one of the methods that can be employed to enable high camera count displays, a number of manufacturers offer off NVR Transcoding which will add additional cost but ultimately perform well. 

It would be worth looking at the American Dynamics VideoEdge NVR which provides onboard Transcoding capability, NVR grouping (currently #14 per Group) in order to perform offloading of Transcoding and when used with the Victor UUnified VMS platform adds "Smart Streaming" through the use of Video Stream Palate's to deliver full performance streams for the display requirement.  Transcoding and Smart Streams are part of the VideoEdge/Victor system with no added costs.

Bobby Mancia Jr.
Jan 20, 2017

Take a worst case scenario: Imagine there will be riots in the prison building, and you wanted to monitor exactly what is happening on an overview. With this feature, the prison guards can promptly take the right decision on the best course of action necessary to prevent further escalation, not to mention where some convicts trying to take advantage of the circumstances to escape. 

(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #3
Jan 20, 2017

How many operators in front of this 5 monitors ? Maybe single mouse and keyboard only ?
Did you want to display single camera video across 4 monitors ?
Or display different layout in different monitors only ?

Most of the time people don't need video wall at all.

(1)
Bobby Mancia Jr.
Jan 20, 2017

Thanks for the comment. As what I can recall, they wanted flexibility on shifting from one video to another depending on the activities. Example: all videos are viewed on the 5 displays, then drag one video of interest on one of the monitor at full screen.  

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #3
Jan 20, 2017

So close, you almost can use any VMS with some free software to do it.
Drag cameras between 5 monitors is almost certainly need a video matrix.

BTW. A lot of VMS/CMS can support 4 monitors.

(1)
Kestutis Nagys
Jan 20, 2017

I think main concept of video wall came from analog world, when source switching was realized on pure HW devices. Now we live in digital era and video streaming, displaying and switching works on totally different concept, but "great video wall" idea still lives on many end users mind. In fact well trained surveillance operator with good client software and powerful hardware with just few monitors can be more effective than person sitting in front of  huge static video wall.

At my point of view video wall is actual for command center type surveillance rooms, where numerous operators work with different tasks and video wall is used for dynamic content displaying. In most other cases "video wall" can be realized as additional monitors, connected to one or few clients.

(3)
JH
Jay Hobdy
Jan 20, 2017
IPVMU Certified

When I said Liveview, I meant open the liveview window multiple times. Each screen can be set for 16,25,36 etc cameras.

This is a live guard station running Smart PSS. The TV is split off monitor 1 so when they want to see something for the whole room, they open it on monitor 1.

These are not in full screen, and full screen would eliminate the border and column on the right.

This set up uses 2 video cards with HDMI/VGA. So 2 monitors run HDMI, 2 run VGA.

(1)
(1)
Bobby Mancia Jr.
Jan 20, 2017

Hi Jay,

Thanks I guess you hit the right button using NVS0904/1604DH 

Features: · Full HD standalone network video decoder for TV wall monitoring system · Support multiple devices: IPC, DVR, NVS, NVR · H.264/MPEG-4 dual codec video decoding · Support multiple resolution decoding:  5Mp/3Mp/1080P/720P/D1/HD1/2CIF/CIF/QCIF · Up to 1080P display output & various interfaces: HDMI, VGA · Support various split-window modes · Support splicing video wall display · Alarm input/output (Just for NVS0904DH), RS232, RS485 · Powerful 1000M Ethernet interface · WEB GUI interface for easy setup and control · Standard 19-inch 1.5U-2U chassis for easy installation

And for the cameras at critical locations, we can use: Dome type with the following feature: Multiple network monitoring: Web viewer, CMS(DSS/PSS) & DMSS & IVS Tripwire, Intrusion, Object Abandoned/Missing, Face Detection, People Counting, Heat Map  & Motorized & Motorized Lens focus, with Pan/Tilt.

However to accommodate 97 views, we require 7 monitors.

IVS (optional)

Tripwire, Intrusion, Object Abandoned/Missing

JH
Jay Hobdy
Jan 20, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Are the DVR's already in?

If not then you do not need the NVS0904. Not even sure what that device actually does

Smart PSS will connect to multiple DVR's and NVR's. 256 I think. So install enough DVR's to support 97 cameras. The software will connect to all of them.

The picture I provided is of a command center that is watching a mix of 10 Dahua DVR/NVR. Once all the recorders are added, they populate the tree. You drag the recorder over, and all the cameras fill the screen.

BTW this command center connects to all the NVR's thru the internet, and they are scattered across 3 sites.

Some people knock Dahua, but they offer a lot of bang for the buck.

(1)
Bobby Mancia Jr.
Jan 23, 2017

Jay,

Thanks, I will keep in mind your recommendation.

Joel Kriener
Jan 21, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Whom may I ask will be responsible for watching 97 real-time monitors? What are the criteria for having all of these up at once? Are there any 'triggers' that would indicate the person watching that ...''oh hey there is something going on in video# 88 that I need to be concerned about.

Would a smarter approach be to prioritize the FOV's as best as possible to minimize which ones you would display and / or have video 'triggers' / alarms / alerts to audibly or automatically switch a video to a display of interest?

Just trying to throw out some questions for thought. I would not want to be the poor person having to be responsible for missing something that they were supposed to catch while on monitoring duty.

However, if you really must here is an option I have used from Matrox before for creating a video wall.

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/video-wall/mura_mpx_series/

Joel

ps - I am not a vendor, contractor or manufacturer. Just a mere mortal of an end-user.

Bobby Mancia Jr.
Jan 23, 2017

Thank you Joel. We can consider this recommendation as well. Let me looked into it further.

JH
Jay Hobdy
Jan 22, 2017
IPVMU Certified

We have several clients using a similar setup. One is a hotel, and they have a security guard that has 180 camera views at the service entrance. They also check in vendors, visitors to admin, have control of 15+ elevators etc.

Obviously they do not catch everything, and the night crew gets more viewing time than the day crew.

Are they going to catch a pickpocket? probably not. Will they see the homeless guy wandering around before he decides to urinate in a planter? Probably

But it is great to ask questions and walk the client through the entire process. 

Bobby Mancia Jr.
Jan 23, 2017

Jay, our customer would want to preempt the crime before it get committed. Ambitious, but possible right?

I believe that surveillance camera must anticipate the trouble before it can happen, otherwise even though we can provide hard evidence in court, the victim still bears the regrets.  

Sy Kuo
Jan 25, 2017

Hi: Bobby

It's the Multi-View customized project.

(1) 97 Input camera source maps to 7 sets monitor, each monitor displays as the  

4x4 configuration, therefore you need 7 Video-Wall controller.

(2) Each controller handles the 16 IP cameras decoding -> 16 capture -> render as

result -> display at monitor.

We are the developer/manufacturer, if you are interested, I can send our product

solution  info to you.

Usually, such application is to surveillance the video/audio still in the running or

NOT? if loss,generates the alarm as the warming to tell the control room

immediately.

More questions: 

(a) what kind of the CODEC for all these 97 IP cameras? is it the H264 or others?

(b) Does the IP cameras support the multicast? TS stream? if NOT what is the

stream format?

Bobby Mancia Jr.
Jan 25, 2017

:

Thank you for your response, we are planning to propose Dahua products dome and bullet type using H.265&H.264 triple-stream encoding. It support Multiple network monitoring: Web viewer, CMS(DSS/PSS) & DMSS.

You may send me your proposal at my email bob.mancia@outlook.com and we will study your solution.

Steve Gorski
Jan 26, 2017

Hi Bobby,

TKH Security Solutions, formerly Optelecom has a solution for this. For a 97 camera view only (No recording) Videowall solution, our VMS Software Sense Pro offers a simple Client-Server System where with 1 Management PC (NVH-1101), 1 Workstation (PC Model NVH-1101) and 5 Videowall Stations (1 46” Monitor per Videowall PC model NVH-2004XTR), all 97 cameras could be displayed and managed with Videowall functionality.

Please reach out if you like additional information.

Steve Gorski

Managing Director

TKH Security Solutions, Inc.

s.gorski@tkhsecurity.com

Bobby Mancia Jr.
Jan 27, 2017

Hi Steve,

Thank you for you response to my query on “How Do I Create A Video Wall…”

I checked your website and was very impressed. With reference to the information that I gathered from your website, there are several opportunities came into the picture. First, our team is interested with the solutions TKH Security has provided your customers. Second, there was question raised on fiber connection, as we were previously planning Wi-Fi on one of our on going project proposal. Lastly, thank you again for this information.

We are going to contact TKH Security to discussed further our requirements.

Steve Gorski
Jan 27, 2017

Thanks Bobby, look forward to connecting with you.

Steve

Sy Kuo
Jan 27, 2017

Keep in mind, we can also offer the 97 cameras multi-view display solution plus through

the fiber transmitter/receiver, NO need of recording.  

(1)
Kevin Bennett
Jan 27, 2017

I'm an end user, and we have "monitor walls" in place. 

As others have mentioned, there are a number of applications/appliances that can make this work.  I would recommend being certain of your desired VMS's capabilities before looking into additional solutions.  My motto is "K.I.S.S." 

We use the Avigilon ACC5 Enterprise VMS and it comes with access to the Avigilon Virtual Matrix application that we use to manage the monitor walls.  We have separate workstations set up to handle multiple monitors.  However, the views can be managed from both the Matrix workstations and/or workstations running the ACC Client application.  We also have the option of just running a wall using the client application and opening multiple windows.  Matrix, in my opinion, is just a stripped down version of the ACC client and it works well in our application.  We are running up to four monitors per workstation, but could do more by adding additional graphics cards.

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions