Subscriber Discussion

Video Production Software For Use With Multiple IP Cameras

Jeffrey Hinckley
Jan 18, 2017

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of a production software  that can be used with multiple IP cameras (used primarily for security) for web casting, production (using camera switching), editing, mixing, etc. 

For example:  Cameras installed at a gym or football field for security.  School student group uses for sporting or other events (secondary streams?) to web broadcast and live broadcast to local station (sports?) or for final editing to DVD or other formats (plays and events?).  

Carl Bracken
Jan 18, 2017

Not sure if this is what you are looking for but this is our experience with typical security IP mega pixel cameras, a security oriented VMS platform to deliver a public facing video production...

A few years ago a national museum in our area asked for help in capturing the construction of their new main exhibit. We set up 3 IP cameras I think they were Arecont 3MP standard models, with various lenses. We deployed 3xLogic as the VMS platform on a small dedicated network for the cameras and recorder for the duration of the construction approximately 4 months. On a routine basis we off loaded raw video and used the AVI option typical in many VMS clients. Once we had a standard file format we used Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 as the primary non linear video editing platform. The in house marketing director was a Sony Las Vegas user so he used that platform to make the final production. We added sound track background audio using Sonic Fire Pro

In my opinion the trick is to make sure the output from the 'security' oriented recording platform supports a standard AVI encoding option. Then I would suggest use what ever NLE platform you are most comfortable with or have access to.

In the end our final product was well received and plays daily as part of a series of videos in the museum theater. Personally I really enjoyed seeing this project through to completion it was a nice change of pace which required a lot of after hours at home.

JH
John Hubbard
Jan 18, 2017

Check out Telestream Wirecast. 

http://www.telestream.net/wirecast/overview.htm

I've used Wirecast for years with IP cams as video sources for my live broadcasts. It's very nice software.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions