Subscriber Discussion

Video Management Systems - Compare And Features

KB
Kevin Bolles
Nov 17, 2014

I have seen many types of VMS used and they all have some good features and some not so good features. I would like this discussion to list the pro and cons of differing software VMS systems.

(1)
KB
Kevin Bolles
Nov 17, 2014

We are currently using the Cisco VMS ver 7.5.1 which is the latest from Cisco. One problem with this software is that is is very particular on what cameras it allows on the system. It seems that only very expensive cameras are supported by this VMS and if you are trying to use an Onvif compaible camera that cisco says is fully compliant, it may or may not work. Anyone had issues like this with cisco vms or other vms software.

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Nov 17, 2014
IPVM

Kevin, we have a series of shootouts from last year that compare VMS functionalities, e.g.

As for Cisco, their VMS is not ONVIF conformant so I would not be surprised to hear of such problems.

Tom McFeely
Nov 18, 2014

One of the main considerations in my list of pros and cons with regard to the different systems, is its ease of use for the operator. More smaller businesses these days are choosing to install camera security systems than ever before.

However, unlike their big business cousins, these business will not have dedicated staff or operators, and most likely, will not have a "CCTV Control Room". Indeed, I would estimate that most of these systems will sit on a shelf and only be looked at after an incident has occurred.

Assuming the business in question does not get robbed on a weekly basis, it may be quite rare for the business owner to ever interact with the system. As such, it's complexity should be as minimal as possible, and dare I say - idiot proof!

I look forward to seeing all of the other Pros and Cons that members list. It was a good idea to initiate this discussion Kevin. Well Done.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Nov 18, 2014

I am an exacq vision diehard, installer. I really think they have one of the easiest software platforms to use, configure, and it has a wide range of features. I really like exacq because its such a light weight program, requires very little to run the software. To accomplish this, exacq uses the cameras to detect motion, which means your camera has to do a decent job at it or you will be fighting it the whole way. I think exacq is great for just about any installation, we have used it in a lot of k-12 applications and with minimal training the end user can pick it up very easily. I like the fact that their mobile application is free and easy to install, and links up to multiple recorders so you only need one webserver. Its also light weight and works on just about anything.

Pros: easy to use, easy set up, easy maintenance, runs on ubuntu & windows, integrates with a ton of cameras (see their site for compatability), does alerts, their tech support is useful, isn't overly expensive.

Cons: cameras have an SSA, doesn't do its own motion detection it relys on the camera (panasonic and some older pelco IP cameras struggle).

Those are the basic pros and cons I see.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions