Subscriber Discussion

Video Door Station Recommendations Needed

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Jul 27, 2017

Looking for an IP based video door station that fits the following requirements:

1) Compatible with Lenel OnGuard

2) ONVIF compliant camera, 720p minimum, 1080p or higher prefered

3) Shoretel VOIP compatible

4) IP65+ and IK7+

U
Undisclosed #2
Jul 27, 2017

Stentofon. Not a Stento rep, just a fan of the product who has installed a ton of it.

1.) Direct (strong) integration to OnGuard.

2.) Axis 720p camera, pulls directly into most any VMS.

3.) Can utilize the Alphacom server to establish a SIP trunk to any SIP-compatible system.

4.) IP65 and IK7.

https://www.zenitel.com/product/ip-vandal-resistant-video-intercom-station-w-axis-camera

(1)
(1)
UI
Jul 27, 2017

I forgot to mention that it should have an HID reader built in as well, for people with the credentials to enter. These will be gate entry units.

UE
Undisclosed End User #3
Jul 31, 2017

Undergoing a pilot with the Axis A8105 for an indoor application, impressed with the quality and features. Their A8004-VE is the outdoor model and pretty sleek. Have video and intercom integrated into our VMS. No integrated reader, but personally not a fan of having to replace an entire unit if one element dies. Could always go with a matching brushed stainless mounting plate on the podium and have a smoked plexi cut-out for the reader to see it's current state.

(1)
UI
Jul 31, 2017

Funny you mentioned the Axis units. That's pretty much our plan now too. We aren't doing the access side of the project, so we will leave that portion to the other contractor. But the Axis units look well built. 

UE
Undisclosed End User #4
Jul 31, 2017

2N is an up and comer (acquired by Axis), and make sure any IP Intercom you select is SIP complaint not just with ShoreTel.

(1)
(1)
UI
Aug 02, 2017

Looked into the 2N lineup and it looks nice. The Helios IP Base looks like a contender for this project. 

Does anyone have working knowledge of their 2Wire device? Our client has existing analog intercoms that most likely have phone wiring to the existing boxes. Using these adapters, we could potentially avoid pulling new CAT5e and also avoid the dreaded 328ft limitation of Ethernet.

UE
Undisclosed End User #3
Aug 02, 2017

Regarding the two-wire/analog migration, don't have any experience with 2N, but been using Digital Acoustic IP converters for +10yrs to analog door stations, they're also SIP compliant although we're using PC-based software. Know AiPhone has a similar unit (IPW-1A), so does Algo Communications (8028, 3228 or 3226), yet to test either. Take the existing two-wire from the door station, connect these units at the head-end, configure and plug into your network. 

UE
Undisclosed End User #3
Aug 02, 2017

You can also look at dropping in an Ethernet over twisted pair/coax converter (Blackbox, Comnet etc).

John Bazyk
Aug 02, 2017
Command Corporation • IPVMU Certified

Where are you buying 2N from?

UI
Aug 02, 2017

It looks like Anixter and Tr-Ed are the choices....

John Jenkins
Aug 02, 2017

Anixter can help you with this.

John Jenkins
Jul 31, 2017

I highly recommend adding 2N to your list. 

(1)
(1)
John Bazyk
Aug 02, 2017
Command Corporation • IPVMU Certified

I am going through this right now, Axis and Door Bird seem to be the best options I have found. I believe the both meet your criteria. Door Bird's pricing appears to be more competitive than Axis. Axis seems to be better developed and will probably integrate better with more VMS providers. Door bird is 1/3 of the cost tho, so if it works and works well, it could be a good solution. 

MM
Michael Miller
Aug 02, 2017

I have used 2N, Stentofon, Aiphone and Axis.    If  video/image quality is most important it's hard to beat the Axis A8105-E 1080P with Fisheye lens.  The A8004-VE is also nice but the limited FOV doesn't make it as useful as the A8105-E.

(1)
UI
Aug 02, 2017

Thanks for the info. Would you say the Axis A8105-E is vandal resistant enough to place outside a vehicle gate? My Axis rep is saying no, but it seems rugged enough.

MM
Michael Miller
Aug 02, 2017

Spec sheet says: 

IP65- and NEMA 4X-rated, aluminum casing, stainless steel button, polycarbonate (PC) dome Color: White NCS S 1002-B

The ones we have installed outside all have covered over them so they would very rarely have rain on them.

UI
Aug 02, 2017

Less worried about IPxx or NEMA ratings. They don't list an IK rating for the unit. 

MM
Michael Miller
Aug 02, 2017

The larger version A8004-VE is definitely the more vandal resistant of the two. 

SD
Shannon Davis
Aug 02, 2017
IPVMU Certified

What do you want out of the integration to Lenel? We have integrated some of these to Lenel before but the integration once done typically wasn't worth the price of admission. The Axis products work extremely well, especially for the price point. Distance limitation is not an issue due to the fact there are plenty of ethernet extenders on the market to use. 

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions