Subscriber Discussion

Video Door Bell Gaining Popularity

Bobby Mancia Jr.
Jan 27, 2017
MIZELA CORPORATION • IPVMU Certified

Video Door Bells can be integrated to the home security system. In this case, if residential home owners become comfortable using them, then more surveillance cameras would pave their way to privy home owners.

If video surveillance manufacturing companies start adding them to their security product offerings, then the price tag would surely become affordable to majority of the families concern with their safety and security. 

(1)
Brian Rhodes
Jan 27, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I think you've essentially described Ring's business model, with the exception they first offered video doorbells (our test of both models: The $28 Million Video Doorbell Ring Tested, Ring Pro Tested) and have added surveillance cameras recently.

There are ONVIF-compatible video doorbells available like dbell in the market too, but no considerable marketshare success yet.

As for commercial surveillance companies expanding into the doorbell market, several have moved into the higher-end, commercial targeted video intercom market. For example, Axis recently purchased one such company (see: Axis Acquires Intercom Manufacturer 2N) after releasing their own models (see: New: Axis Video Intercom), so what you describe is essentially happening just outside the typical residential space.

(Notably, Mobotix has has a video doorphone for years, with a steep pricetag and challenging integration options.)

Several have noted Hikvision has begun showing video doorbell options at tradeshow stands, with widespread release pending.

(1)
(1)
Joseph Parker
Jan 27, 2017

The Mobotix doorstation is awesome, but even the ordering process is tedious.

Jon Dillabaugh
Jan 27, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

Dahua and Hikvision have had these in their Asian markets for a while now. I haven't seen them carried by the OEMs or official US divisions yet.

(1)
UD
Undisclosed Distributor #1
Jan 27, 2017

Perhaps 2N would be interesting too to mention!

www.2n.cz

(1)
Brian Rhodes
Jan 27, 2017
IPVMU Certified

2N was mentioned in the first response.  

UD
Undisclosed Distributor #1
Jan 27, 2017

Ooops 😀

Joseph Parker
Jan 27, 2017

Did I miss Doorbird?  Because while I love my Ring, we typically use Doorbird due to a dearth of video and automation features such as ONVIF and Control4 integration.  

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions