Subscriber Discussion

Which States Require Two Party Consent?

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #1
Apr 28, 2017

Guys/Gals,

Which states require two-party disclosure for video + Audio monitoring?  

Ari Erenthal
Apr 28, 2017

I am not a lawyer and, presumably, neither are you. So neither of us can offer legal advice. 

That said, the best resource I know of for questions like these is on Louroe's website:

Audio and the law in your area

(2)
UM
Apr 28, 2017

But I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night!  Lol! 

UM
Apr 28, 2017

Jokes aside, thank you, very helpful link!

Cameron Javdani
Apr 28, 2017
Louroe Electronics

We're not lawyers either, so that's why we included the references to the actual statutes.

There's also a printed reference with the same federal and state information on the first two pages of our catalog.

(1)
(1)
Ari Erenthal
Apr 28, 2017

I should add that Louroe products also come with a sticker letting people know that there are audio recording devices in use, for places that require such things. 

(1)
U
Undisclosed #2
Apr 28, 2017

I notice that the OP asks about video as well as audio.

Like Ari, for audio I check the Louroe listings - but for video I am not aware of any states that require those being observed in public areas to consent to this monitoring.

UM
Apr 28, 2017

I should clarify, this is regarding Audio AND Video BOTH being monitored.  

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Apr 28, 2017

.....and yet, you can pull out your cell phone and record both audio and video.  Where would you place the sign?  

I think laws are going to have to catch up with technology. 

(1)
UM
Apr 28, 2017

EXACTLY!  Where would RING or the other variants of doorbell/peephole cameras fall?  As they record audio and video, so would that require posting of Audio/Video monitoring signage on the exterior of a residence or business, in Texas?

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions