Verkada Sales Director Says "Come Get Locked In" As They Are "The Only Solution That Can Meet Your Cybersecurity Needs"

JH
John Honovich
Mar 26, 2019
IPVM

And I thought the Verkada salesguy who sent us unsolicited champagne was aggressive. Now, his colleague declares:

The cybersecurity statement is silly at best. There's lots of ways one can meet cybersecurity needs (airgapped networks, VPNs, other companies PTP, etc.).

The 'come get locked in' statement is arguably even more arrogant, referring to our The IP Camera Lock-In Trend: Meraki and Verkada.

Also, see our Verkada Cloud VMS/Cameras test results where the company's service was overall poor.

(1)
(2)
MM
Michael Miller
Mar 26, 2019

I find their product interesting but I have lost respect for them.  They are making ridiculous claims about competitors products and the sales reps know nothing about CCTV. You should jump on a webinar...   

(4)
(2)
U
Undisclosed #1
Mar 27, 2019

Cyber Security Dominoes at its finest.

(1)
bm
bashis mcw
Mar 26, 2019

(5)
(10)
U
Undisclosed #2
Mar 28, 2019
IPVMU Certified

bashis, although I respect you abilities, probing Verkada for vulnerabilities is most likely a waste of time.  

these guys are just too good, their code is just too clean and locked down too tight to be attacked successfully, by even the best.  don’t even try.

it’s just flat-out impossible, end of story, full stop ;)

(7)
bm
bashis mcw
Mar 28, 2019

;-) +1 funny

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Mar 29, 2019

IPVM, set up an Verkada system at defcon this year with a sticker saying please hack me.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #5
Mar 29, 2019

That's actually a good piece of marketing advice for Verkada.  What better way to "prove" they have the best cybersecurity than to have a bunch of professionals try and fail - they hope, to hack into it?  Could be a hugely successful marketing campaign or a painfully explosive death null but either way it would settle the question right?

(2)
Kyle Folger
Mar 28, 2019
IPVMU Certified

They are pushing heavy on YouTube. I have seen their ad pop up multiple times now.

MM
Michael Miller
Mar 28, 2019

Might be a good option to follow up and see how they like it? 

https://www.verkada.com/customers/verkada-customer-review-zionsville-community-schools/

(2)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #3
Mar 29, 2019

Equally as good. What exactly is a "REAL" security system?

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #4
Mar 29, 2019

Nice, definitely want to get in on the Yeti before their next funding round.

(1)
MM
Michael Miller
Mar 29, 2019

They deleted my response. 

(2)
(8)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #5
Mar 29, 2019

I'm all about the Yeti!

(2)
JH
John Honovich
Apr 10, 2021
IPVM

Bump, just stumbled across this, this was just 2 years ago.

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions