Subscriber Discussion

Bed Sheets Used To Obscure Perp From Camera - What To Do?

David McNeill
Aug 01, 2017

We recently had a case of a perp using a bed sheet to obscure identity.

Plain white sheet over head, held out to allow them to see walking around.

Walked into a space, stole an item by gathering it under sheet, walked out.

The technique has now spread within that institution, a sort of informal half way house trying to engender trust & capability in dysfunctional dropout men.

So the camera is of little use in identification, only telling us date, time, method, perhaps approximate build and gait, shoe type.

Can anyone suggest counter measures for this type of activity?

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Aug 01, 2017
IPVM

Can you pick him up / see his identity from another camera before he enters that space?

(2)
David McNeill
Aug 01, 2017

Indeed, he has to take his sheet off somewhere, lest everyone else see him, and label him as the ghost thief anyway.

A good reason for some more cameras, beyond the current sensitive zones.

SL
Scott Lapin
Aug 01, 2017

Is a face level camera or a bit lower somewhere by the door to that space an option to catch under the sheet as it where?

(1)
David McNeill
Aug 01, 2017

Probably only as a covert, otherwise too open to a stray boot.

Lot of work to conceal the cable at that level in an older institution style building.

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Aug 01, 2017

Access Control...

(4)
John Jenkins
Aug 01, 2017

You can implement an Electronic Access Control system that logs who enters where at what time.

good luck.

(2)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Aug 01, 2017

Get the squad from Scooby Doo. I couldn't resist...

(8)
Brian Rhodes
Aug 01, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Serialize/number/color all the sheets and match them to specific people when issued.

Lock up the stuff that is being stolen.

UE
Undisclosed End User #3
Aug 01, 2017

I was going to say lock the door. 

UE
Undisclosed End User #2
Aug 01, 2017

Sounds like short term investigative cameras might be the trick, deployed and used until such time the trend stops.  Could use a bait (honeypot) to set them up for the right shot.  

But I agree either more temporary or permanent cameras to determine who they are when the sheets come off.  

David McNeill
Aug 01, 2017

Temporary cameras a good idea. Easier to hide, no cabling. 

We've been using the Moultrie M990 trail cam (black flash variant).  I'll get some moved into position.

(1)
UE
Undisclosed End User #2
Aug 01, 2017

Make sure you limit the number of people that know their location, hire likelihood of catching the culprits.  Then when they are caught, ask that the camera footage and locations not be revealed and if they are make sure that camera is relocated before they are confronted.  Otherwise you might loose your camera and alerts the guilty what to look for. 

JE
Jim Elder
Aug 02, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Can you post a video. I would like to use it in one of my classes.

LM
Luke Maslen
Aug 02, 2017
IPVMU Certified

A strategically-placed fan might blow the sheet around enough to either reveal more details of the person or make the sheet an impractical method of concealment by flapping around and obscuring their vision.

I think you've just found a new meaning for 'ghosting' in your surveillance footage.

(2)
(1)
JE
Jim Elder
Aug 02, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Good Idea. A fan or one of those commercial blowers used to dry out floors, triggered by a mat switch. Kind of like the famous Marilyn Monroe pic... except with bad guys. 

Probably get sued when you scare the guy into a heart attack.

(3)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions