US State Court Going From Axis To Uniview

JH
John Honovich
May 03, 2017
IPVM

I spoke with an officer at a US State Court who explained why they are going from Axis to Uniview.

JH
John Honovich
May 03, 2017
IPVM

He said that the Axis cameras cost $400-$700 but that the Uniview cameras were ~$100 and that someone else in the local government, using them successfully, recommended Uniview.

He was looking at 4MP fixed focal cameras and while the price differential would not be that much, it would be significant between Axis and Uniview.

What do you think? If you are an Axis RSM, how would you have flipped the sale?

(1)
(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
May 03, 2017
IPVMU Certified

What state?  Some states have "Buy American" style statutes.

Edit: I know Axis is not American, but perhaps there are stipulations on trading only with favored countries....

(1)
U
Undisclosed #3
May 04, 2017

Uniview should be not controlled by Bain Capital any more.

Bain Capital should sell it already.

UD
Undisclosed Distributor #4
May 04, 2017

Bain Capital has liquidated their Uniview holdings.  They were never "owners" per se, just investors.

(2)
U
Undisclosed #1
May 04, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Bain Capital has liquidated their Uniview holdings.

To whom?  When?  Still listed here, indicates some relationship.

They were never "owners" per se, just investors.

Per se they were/are owners, though they may not have been the day to day managers.

JH
John Honovich
May 04, 2017
IPVM

#1, Uniview is now owned by China TransInfo. This happened last month. We plan a post next week that should incorporate feedback from Uniview about what their post-acquisition plans are.

(1)
UD
Undisclosed Distributor #5
May 04, 2017

There are also rumors that they are going through IPO

(2)
U
Undisclosed #1
May 05, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Thanks for the info!

U
Undisclosed #1
May 05, 2017
IPVMU Certified

We plan a post next week...

My personal credo is "If it hasn't been reported on IPVM, then it hasn't happened..."

Jon Dillabaugh
May 04, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

They were investors, just like the Chinese gov are investors in Hikvision?

JH
John Honovich
May 04, 2017
IPVM

They were investors, just like the Chinese gov are investors in Hikvision?

No, the Chinese government founded / created Hikvision, explained here.

MC
Marty Calhoun
May 05, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Hikvision originated from a Chinese government research institute.

This is uncommon in the West but frequent in China.

Not a big deal? Who are we Americans to complain about another countries way of doing business?

(1)
KJ
Kenny Johnson
May 08, 2017

Really??? I thought Axis was American!

(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #8
May 08, 2017

Axis has to go home what ever they are going to match the price or not.  No body will pay 3-4 time more for an almost same product. Sale the company when it still cost some or do some thing Chinese can not do.

(2)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
May 04, 2017

Axis M-series domes are far less than 400-700. Still not going to get it to $100, but it's certainly far less. Can't compare the P-Series or Q-Series which are far higher quality devices to uniview; the m-series is a closer comparison.

(5)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #6
May 04, 2017

I hope they are never planning on using something like the Uniview App or any other software they produce. It is rated here way below Hik or Dahua as a brand and riddled with issues of all kinds.

(1)
(2)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #7
May 08, 2017

According to the Uniview web site, http://sg.uniview.com/About_Us/Company/, Uniview is a Chinese company.

The State Court should be concerned about products made in China. Any federal funding for security in a State Court would still be governed under federal procurement regulations. Federal regulations say that TAA (Trade Agreement Act) applies and China is not on the list of TAA-compliant countries.

Yes, there is a security concern. There should also be a concern with purchasing the wrong product (or a product from the wrong country) and having to rip it out and replace it.

The VAR doing the work would quick likely be held responsible for installing a non-compliant product and federal funds are used. Saw that happen at a couple of county bus depots that used federal TSA money.   

(2)
MC
Marty Calhoun
Aug 01, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Good Move! Although I am a solid Hikvision supporter I still understand economics as well.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #9
Aug 01, 2017

Marty's back!!!   I have been reading many a HIK post awaiting his commentary.   It's like having your favorite show comeback after hiatus.  

(1)
(1)
UE
Undisclosed End User #10
Aug 01, 2017

At least the media will have someone to cover after they get owned by the next malware.   

Doing it right always costs more money. 

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions