Subscriber Discussion

Update On Aventura Cameras?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
May 07, 2017

I read the articles from a year and more ago on Aventura and it seemed a little mixed.  I looked at them during ISC West and am evaluating cameras for a specific project right now.  From a spec and price standpoint, they look pretty good but I'd feel better if I got an update.  Has anyone learned anything more/new about them or tried their products to have a hands on opinion?

U
Undisclosed #2
May 07, 2017

What manufacturers / cameras are you comparing Aventura to?

UI
May 07, 2017

Mobotix, Axis, IDIS, Samsung

U
Undisclosed #3
May 07, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I read the articles from a year and more ago on Aventura...

Then you're aware that they appear to be OEMing Hik cameras?

(1)
UI
May 07, 2017

Well thats where the articles were a little mixed.  It seemed like some thought they were OEMing HIK and putting their name on it but others asked if they were the OEM supplying HIK?!?!?  In either case, the gal from Aventura chimed in saying they make all their own stuff all in US and that is also what they were saying at the show.  Can you confirm they are in fact just HIK in disguise?

U
Undisclosed #3
May 07, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Certainly when I wrote that it appeared to be the case.  I saw that most cameras on their site not just looked like and had uncannily similar specs to Hik, but actually shared ARTWORK:

This was similar in the boxes, bullets as well.

I dont know why you would/could have the same artwork but have different cameras.  You would think that one of the companies (or both) are OEMing.

Which is why I joked about Hik OEMing *from* Aventura, to pretend like I was giving then the benefit of the doubt with their Made in the USA claim.

Today most of the models look updated, though still Hikish to me, I would just suggest you see if you can find parallels.  

U
Undisclosed #4
May 07, 2017

"I looked at them during ISC West and am evaluating cameras for a specific project right now."

Do you have one of their cameras on hand?  Or are you just evaluating based on spec sheets and pricing?

If you have one of their cameras, what is the OUI (first three sets of numbers in the MAC address)?

U
Undisclosed #4
May 07, 2017
UI
May 07, 2017

lol....well that puts an end to the mystery for me.  It quacks like a duck etc.  Amazing they didn't go to more effort disguising the manual, they are virtually identical.  So thanks for pointing this out, I didn't think to make that comparison.  Guess we'll move onto the rest now ;)

(1)
UI
May 07, 2017

Thanks for clarification #3.  #4, I'm only comparing based on specs right now.  

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #5
May 08, 2017

[Note: Poster is from Aventura]

If you have any concerns about Aventura contact a company representative. Aventura offers factory tours of its New York manufacturing facilities to its customers.

Get on a plane and this should satisfy any of your concerns and you can come to conclusions with your own eyes and common sense.

Further come away with samples and multiple references of customers similar to you in scope and size as part of your due diligence. Also consider references of customers with mission critical environments.

This as opposed to persons on these message board (identified as "manufacturers") - which one can suppose are competitors spewing illogical rhetoric, and who will continue to do so, whom we typically do not engage. Aventura let's its customers and products speak for their reputation.

Aventura undisputed had products years before the rest of the market yet "competitors" say it's an OEM from companies which did not have the technology until years later, which is illogical. 

Aventura also released H264 back in 2003 several years before the market and H265 back in 2013 years clearly before all others. 

If you are considering multiple manufacturers then sampling of those manufacturers as well with a shoot out in your environment will provide you with the answer to the best products for your objectives.

In addition to the optical and general specs consider the level of cyber security, which is just as if not more important.

You will find "significant" differences between Aventura and other US/European manufacturers compared to that of Asian suppliers. The Chinese products as well documented lack many security basics. 

U
Undisclosed #3
May 08, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Are Aventura cameras listed in the GSA catalog?

U
Undisclosed #4
May 08, 2017

it would appear so

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #5
May 07, 2017

[Note: Poster is from Aventura]

Very simple to compare:

Aventura supports H.265 since 2013

Hikvision only supports H.264

Open up the cameras:

Hikvision has DS-XXX serial number markings all over their boards even OEMs as shown by IPVM,  Aventura does not have any such markings

Hikvision uses Hisilicon sensors

Aventura uses Ambarella and Sony sensors

Housings look nothing alike:

Hikvision bullet

http://www.hikvision.com/us/products_10533.html

Aventura bullet

https://www.aventuracctv.com/3-MP-H.264-H.265-60M-IR-Bullet-Network-Camera/

MAC addresses - the Aventura addresses belong to Aventura if you research, and the Hikvision belong to Hikvision

UL certificates for Aventura belong to Aventura and the UL certificates for Hikvision belong to Hikvision

U
Undisclosed #3
May 07, 2017
IPVMU Certified

U
Undisclosed #4
May 07, 2017

so is your position that Aventura does not OEM cameras from Hikvision but that Aventura used to?

It would seem to be the only logical position to take based on the evidence above.

And if this is true, when did Aventura make the business decision to no longer OEM from Hikvision?

U
Undisclosed #3
May 08, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Simple to compare

Aventura supports H.265 since 2013

Hikvision only supports H.264

False.  2 years ago there were at least 70 models available.

Open up the cameras:

Hikvision has DS-XXX serial number markings all over their boards even OEMs as shown by IPVM, Aventura does not have any such markings

Unverifiable, currently.  Same boards though?

Hikvision uses Hisilicon sensors

Aventura uses Ambarella and Sony sensors

False. Hikvision also uses Ambarella, and Sony in addition to HiSilicon.

Housings look nothing alike:

Hikvision bullet

http://www.hikvision.com/us/products_10533.html

Aventura bullet

https://www.aventuracctv.com/3-MP-H.264-H.265-60M-IR-Bullet-Network-Camera/

Partially True. More true than 2 years ago. Don't get me wrong, the "flat-bottom bullet" look is all yours, and serves its distinguishing function well.  

For the record though are you saying that the internals of say your 6mp pano is actually different than the Hik 6mp pano and that the spec sheets are only the same by chance? Note:  When I say the same I just mean the numbers, the colors and fonts and layouts are different of course.

MAC addresses - the Aventura addresses belong to Aventura if you research, and the Hikvision belong to Hikvision

Irrelevant. MAC addresses can be changed even at boot time.

UL certificates for Aventura belong to Aventura and the UL certificates for Hikvision belong to Hikvision

Irrelevant. Is the to show that they can't be OEMed because UL would say "Hey wait, this looks just like a Hik, no cert for you!" or ??

Can you send me a photo of the inside of your 6mp pano without Hik markings and we can compare it to a Hik?

U
Undisclosed #6
Jul 04, 2018

I have personally tried out Hikvision exploits on their cameras and was able to gain access, take snapshots, download configuration and even reset the admin password. End of story.

(2)
(2)
(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #7
Jul 05, 2018

Perhaps you have a device that's 4years old. On my shelf I have five Aventura devices, they are not Hikvsion in any sense of the word.

(2)
(1)
U
Undisclosed #3
Jul 05, 2018
IPVMU Certified

Perhaps you have a device that's 4years old.

So where do they get them now?

U
Undisclosed #3
Jul 05, 2018
IPVMU Certified

...they are not Hikvsion in any sense of the word.

Nor are they Dahu or Univew in any sense of those words.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions