We are currently testing multiple VMSes, specifically related to managing connected cameras, and are evaluating what are the best features or capabilities to base our evaluation on.
The initial list of parameters / criteria we are starting out with are:
- Ease of Adding Cameras - auto discovery vs manual, Bulk adding, saved / favorite username and passwords
- Ease of modifying camera settings - in VMS vs in camera, ability to copy common/auto configuration settings, video rotate (corridor format)
- Camera health alerts/alarms
- Updating Firmware - Same manufacturer models vs 3rd party models
- Camera Health Info - connection info (disconnects and connects)
- Camera reports - audit information of MACs, associated IPs, on what server, report emailing and scheduling
- Camera replacement process - same or different model replacement, copying configuration settings to new camera
- Camera reboot / reconnect - ability to perform a reboot and/or quickly disconnect and reconnect to camera
What other criteria or aspects should we be considering for our evaluation? Let us know in the comments.