Upcoming Intrusion Motion Detector Shootout, Which Models To Test?

Brian Rhodes
Aug 09, 2016
IPVMU Certified

We are planning a shootout of Motion Sensors.

Minimally, we will include models from Bosch, Honeywell, Napco, and DSC. Which others should we test?

Test criteria will include sensitivity, detection range, and pet resistance. Dual tech or Tri tech sensors are also being considered. For now, we are thinking of wired only, but your feedback on whether we should test wireless models is welcome too.

If you have suggestions on models on things to test, post them here!

MW
Mike Weymer
Aug 09, 2016
IPVMU Certified

visonic, optex, interlogix?

maybe do some outdoor some indoor sceanarios?

(1)
Brian Rhodes
Aug 10, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Specific model recommendations for Visonic, Optex, and Interlogix? Thanks.

Gerrie Swart
Aug 10, 2016

Paradox

(3)
Brian Rhodes
Aug 10, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Why Paradox? Which models? Are they better/worse/cheaper than others?

Trying to understand better, thanks.

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
Aug 11, 2016

I used to work for Paradox in the late 90's in Montreal, but have no association with them now. From what I recall that was around the time of their 10th anniversary. So I guess that means they have been making motion detectors for almost 30 years now. Not 100% sure but I think they were the first on the market with a digital motion detector. I still frequently see their detectors and panels in buildings so must still be going strong.

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #6
Aug 13, 2016

I worked for Paradox for 4 years and they (with perhaps Optex) have the best motion detectors I have ever seen. In Canada, there are hundreds of dealers who purchase DSC or Ademco panels but buy Paradox detectors because of their near-perfect reliability.

UM
Dec 18, 2017

near-perfect reliability

How long ago was that? I just got a Paradox MG5050 wireless alarm system installed with 4 PMD-1 wireless detectors. Soon as the temperature in the house rises above a certain temperature (say mid 20s - not that high) the detectors do not trigger.

So I come home from work, walk around the house fully armed and the alarm never goes off unless I physically tap the detectors! The installer doesn't want to know, so I downloaded the manuals to check the jumper settings, but everything appears correct.

Anyone ever hear anything like that?

UM
Aug 13, 2016

Which models?

Depends on the category of MD that you are testing. They seem to have two series now, Digigard and ENVY. The Digigard (e.g. models DG55+/DG65+) I think have been around for decades in one form or another. I see these in buildings/houses everywhere. So i'd like to see those included. The "ENVY" series is a mystery to me, I am guessing they are more expensive.

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #1
Aug 10, 2016

Maybe Adpro E-PIR by Xtralis? Since they are part of Honeywell now they probably will be avaible in the US someday. And it is an outdoor PIR.

JH
John Honovich
Aug 10, 2016
IPVM

You need to disclose that you are from Xtralis to make that recommendation.

(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #1
Aug 10, 2016

I am sorry, not really used to this. But I can confirm that I do work at Xtralis

Tyler Blake
Aug 10, 2016
BCI Integrated Solutions

I care more about wireless vs wired than adding more brands. Since the trend in consumer is to go wireless due to lower install cost I think it would be most helpful to know the differences in performance there.

If adding another wired brand I would vote Optex.

(2)
(1)
Brian Rhodes
Aug 10, 2016
IPVMU Certified

I agree that wireless is a big trend and not likely to change.

However what are the evaluation parameters to test? Notification speed? Battery life? How much does the environment play a role in that? Do the panels/modules they are paired with make a difference?

Your thoughts/ everyone's thoughts are welcome here.

JH
John Honovich
Aug 10, 2016
IPVM

One thing we need to determine is categorization, just like we not shootout a cube vs a multi-imager, we need to properly segment our motion detector tests.

(1)
Steve Beck
Aug 10, 2016

2nd for Optex

Brian Rhodes
Aug 10, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Which Optex models?

Steve Beck
Aug 12, 2016

LX-402 It's outdoor rated so we use them a lot in unheated pull barns

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Aug 10, 2016
IPVM

It would be great if people can suggest specific models. Brands / manufacturers certainly help give a big picture view but if there are certain models that you are interested in, that would help identify the final choices for us to buy and test.

Robert Baxter
Aug 10, 2016

How about outdoor motion detectors?

(1)
Brian Rhodes
Aug 10, 2016
IPVMU Certified

This first test will be indoor only, given that outdoor applications and sensor types are different than the vastly more common indoor intrusion detection types.

We would consider an outdoor test in the future.

AD
Andrew DeMattos
Aug 11, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Test wireless!!!

mobile applications and ability to tie cameras into the system.

This is what customers are asking for.

U
Undisclosed #3
Aug 11, 2016
IPVMU Certified
(1)
UD
Undisclosed Distributor #4
Aug 11, 2016

I would like to see these:

PIR:

-Optex RXC-ST, FMX-ST and FMX-DST

-Vanderbilt PDM-I12 and PDM-I18

-Risco RK800Q

-Inim XIR200H

Dual:

-Optex RXC-DTX-8

-Risco RK815DTGL00A

-Risco RK825DTB200A

-Vanderbilt PDM-IXA12 and PDM-IXA18

-Inim XDT200H

LLOYD O'MEALLY
Aug 11, 2016
IPVMU Certified

VISONIC DUO-240

LLOYD O'MEALLY
Aug 11, 2016
IPVMU Certified

HONEYWELL DT8035

LLOYD O'MEALLY
Aug 11, 2016
IPVMU Certified

DSC

LC-171

(1)
Gert Molkens
Aug 11, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Second vote for U4 distributors list, certainly the Vanderbilt models

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #5
Aug 11, 2016

I think some categories might be appropriate for this test, such as: Commercial, Industrial and Residential. Sub-categories might be: hardwired, wireless, ceiling mount, indoor, outdoor, harsh environments, pet immunity, and stable environments. I consider these conditions when specifying a motion detector and so should the test.

Some of the brands/models I use, or have used, are:

Bosch DS-BPR2 (Hardwired)

Bosch DS-BDL2 (Hardwired, PIR/MIC)

Bosch ISN-AP1 (Hardwired)

Honeywell IS2535 (Hardwired; I think this is being phased out and I have problems with this one.)

Honeywell IS3035 (Hardwired)

Honeywell 5800-PIR (Wireless; I use a lot of these now since most of my new installs are wireless.)

Visonic K940 (Hardwired)

Over the years, I've used various brands, some of which have been bought by other mfgs.

Aritech

C&K Dualtecs (now Honeywell)

Detection Systems (now Bosch)

Intellisense (now Honeywell)

Optex

Rokonet

Sentrol

Visonic

(1)
JR
Jeff Russo
Aug 12, 2016
IPVMU Certified
Mark Kirkeby
Aug 13, 2016

my all purpose standard motion detector is the Bosch Tri-Tech Blue Line BDL2-WP12G I would like to see this stacked up against other wall mount PIR motion detectors. One of the reasons that I went to the Tri Tech is high heat in resort homes that are unattended in the summer, regular PIR such as the Honeywell aurora. I have used Honeywell and DS Tri tech in the past , but have no data as to which is better. I have zero false alarms with the Bosch and have tested in high heat environments and they work as expected.

(1)
Mark Kirkeby
Aug 13, 2016

I would like to see a shootout on some ceiling mount 360 motions

and also long range motions I have used several of the Protech models such as SDI77XL2B

I would like to see other outdoor long range motion detectors tested, agaisnt animals,

temperature,false alarms, active alarms,

(1)
Mark Palka
Aug 15, 2016
IPVMU Certified

i would like to see how these detectors fair against the ones built into cameras like Arlo, Piper and Canary

GG
Geza Gyorfi
Aug 15, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Texecom Premier Elite range: -DT, -Orbit DT (long range), -AM360 DT (ceiling mount), -PW(pet immune).

They have got wireless system/detectors as well.

Dean Polvi
Aug 15, 2016

I do mostly CCTV but will be extending into Motion Detection in near future. Optics I've heard is good quality. Things I'd like to see tested is sensitivity and consistency. Want to have a balance between consistently getting notification of motion, but must minimize/eliminate (??) false alarms.

Quality of build, consistency of response, price must less important. Thank you

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #7
Dec 18, 2017

RE653: OPTEX new wireless outdoor PIR   Works with Helix panel.   Not sure if there is Honeywell version though

Brian Rhodes
Dec 18, 2017
IPVMU Certified

We are planning to test those Optex FitLink PIRs next month.  FTN-RRHW is the Honeywell version.

(1)
UM
Dec 18, 2017

Definitely test temperature compensation by heating the room to varying temperatures.

When I lived in Montreal, all the houses had air conditioning, whereas in countries like NZ that is/was much less common, so you see wider temperature fluctuations and therefore detectors suited for one country may not work so well in another. The failure rates may therefore be different. That is my theory anyway. 

David Johnson
Dec 19, 2017

Absolutely.  Have seen high temps (90f and up) render the old Ademco 5890 wireless PIR's useless.  Always liked the Visonic Duet line though haven't installed one in years.

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions