Upcoming Hard Drive Test - Your Input Is Valued

John Scanlan
Aug 23, 2016
IPVM • IPVMU Certified

We are planning a hard drive test (performance, temperature rise, power consumption, usability, etc) and are interested to hear what hard drives you would like to see tested.

To this point we are considering:

• WD Red
  • WD Purple
  • WD Gold
  • Seagate IronWolf
  • Seagate SkyHawk

What would you like to see tested? Any comments or input?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Aug 23, 2016

The drives you have listed are what we in the trunk slammer business would call "premium drives" it would be best if you included some $50.00 ebay specials in there just to see how they compare. IT would be interesting to see how the drive RPM compares, i know a lot of the large capacity drives are 5400, but it would be interesting to see a shootout of a 5400, 7200, and 10k modern drive, especially since some systems do the live and archive drive route like milestone. Should be a fun shoot out.

(1)
(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Aug 23, 2016

i would like to see those compared to the following:

WD Se

WD Re

thanks.

(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #3
Aug 23, 2016

Please also compare Enterprise-class drives (of the WD RE4 type)

(1)
EP
Eddie Perry
Aug 24, 2016

in my diverse enterprise enviroment

there are 2 types of WD red drives, one is 7200rpm ( pro) the other is 5400.

I use WD black drives now (uber premium) for most of my NAS units they come with a 5 year warranty

I used to use WD red pro except they have a high failure rate for the 3TB models and i am bound on some of my NAS units to 3TB drives.

I have used the enterprise models, tan and the black and yellow ones they are good now worth the extra money though.

I have seen the WD green ones in some NVR's and they fail after about 3 years on average.

seagates get thrown in the garbage if i see them

Hitachi would be my second choice but they are pricey

in regards to the drive speed i have found that a 64MB cache and 7200RPM is a perfect medium when you factor cost, performance, and ROI.

SAS drives are a waste of money as are SSD's.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions