Subscriber Discussion

Uniview Or Alibi?

Allan Moon
Sep 11, 2017

I am currently installing uniview cameras and NVR's, however a local individual asked me to look into the Alibi cameras. Let me know your thoughts, good or bad and who would you recommend.

Thanks

JH
John Honovich
Sep 11, 2017
IPVM

Allan, Supercircuit's Alibi is a Hikvision OEM (related, see Hikvision OEM directory). In general, Alibi uses lower-end Hikvision cameras, so while it depends on what Alibi models you consider vs what Uniview ones, that is the basic comparison.

That noted, if you like Hikvision, I would recommend going with Hikvision over a Hikvision OEM, especially since Alibi is marketed online via Supercircuits.

(1)
(2)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Sep 12, 2017

John, What do you mean by "especially since Alibi is marketed online via Supercircuits"?

JH
John Honovich
Sep 12, 2017
IPVM

I mean that Supercircuits is well known as a mass-market, low cost, sold anywhere offering and therefore does not have a premium brand. Alibibi is Supercircuit's relatively speaking premium dealer brand but it's still associated with Supercircuits and I know few true surveillance dealers that prefer buying from Supercircuits. 

(1)
(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Sep 12, 2017

Thanks for elaborating. I fully agree.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Sep 16, 2017

As a side note, the Uniview brand is gone by the wayside I believe, and the Alibi brand is now available through dealers only.

(1)
(2)
U
Undisclosed #3
Sep 16, 2017
IPVMU Certified

As a side note, the Uniview brand is gone by the wayside I believe...

Meaning?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Sep 17, 2017

Sorry for the late reply, and perhaps I should have worded it a little differently, Uniview is no longer carried by Supercircuits according to the latest dealer catalog. My apologies for any misunderstanding.

(2)
U
Undisclosed #3
Sep 17, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Do you prefer buying from Supercircuits?

David Delepine
Sep 16, 2017
Brivo • IPVMU Certified

I have seen more and more integrators using Uniview as of late than ever before. They have a limited selection of distributors but seem to be comparable to Dahua and Hik for quality/price but are not as widely available online so less issues with consumers price shopping

(1)
U
Undisclosed #3
Sep 16, 2017
IPVMU Certified

See Uniview Bigger Than Hikvision And Dahua In China? for an example of an overly enthusiastic partner :)

JH
John Honovich
Sep 17, 2017
IPVM

David, related to that, Uniview made the list of top gainers in 2016. We will run the 2017 one at the end of next month and will be interesting to see where they are.

(1)
UD
Undisclosed Distributor #4
Nov 20, 2017

Hi John,

I dont see Uniview in the list of 2017 itself.

Can you please explain why?

JH
John Honovich
Nov 20, 2017
IPVM

I dont see Uniview in the list of 2017 itself.

Not enough integrators selected them either way. That's why. We don't put companies in or out of the list, we tabulate and report.

Why that's the case I am not sure. Generally, I think Uniview needs to ramp up more marketing and sales resources as there is a limit how much market share a company can get with, e.g., no local manufacturer staff in North America.

(1)
UD
Undisclosed Distributor #4
Nov 20, 2017

OK,I get it.

Thank You.

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #5
Nov 20, 2017

They do have a master distributor in Canada. Petawise ( Petawise.com).

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions