Subscriber Discussion

'Universal' Camera Discovery Tool

Gert Molkens
Aug 14, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Wouldn't it be nice to have a 'universal' IP camera discovery tool? One that finds any camera regardless of brand, type and IP address?

Below is a screenshot of IP Search Tool. This is the installation tool for Longse camera's and made by Herospeed (herospeed.net). Windows didn't like me installing this piece of software and warned me for it. As usual, i neglected that warning and went ahead whit it (on a demo machine of course).

It's not (yet) what i described above, there are a few flaws and its not perfect. On the other hand, it's the first one i saw that shows Longse (of course), Arecont Vision, Sony, Axis and an 'unknown' (it's a Vivotek in this case) brand camera in the same discovery process. Maybe there are other tools out there that do this but this is the first one i've actually seen doing it.

The Axis camera shows up a bit weird in the device name and the IP address is wrong, should also be in the 192.168.220.x range so that's not good.

As mentioned 'networkcamera' is a Vivotek camera of which it doesn't show the brand correctly but it finds the camera and you can get to it.

It does show the Longse camera 'IPC' although it's on a different subnet. Not unique but nice anyway. I tried the same with the Sony and moved that to a different subnet. As could be expected, it didn't find it anymore. :-(

Of course, changing the IP address etc on the right hand side of the screen only works for the Longse camera. if you try to do that for another brand, the program will terminate with an error.

Although it's not perfect, it can be usefull to find camera's in an unknown network for instance. Sure, a network scanner like Advanced IP Scanner can do that to but that will give you all networked devices, not only the camera's. if you have a lot of networked devices this tool might be a faster approach. Also, it will find Longse camera's in different subnets which a network scanner won't.

Bottom line: will still have to wait for one that can detect all camera's on all subnets and displays all information correct. I guess i'll have to keep dreaming of that one just a litle bit longer but then again, it's nice to have dreams :-)

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #1
Aug 14, 2016

Most cameras advertise themselves on the network using either Universal Plug-an-play UPnP, ONVIF device discovery (which is basically web service discovery), and I think maybe the Bonjour protocol. Others also implement a proprietary approach which usually involves listening on a UDP port for a packet of a specific length and format. But if a discovery tool implements the first two then they'll capture most cameras on the network. The point is, it is not like they had to write special code for each manufacturer of camera. I would imagine all NVRs would have something like this built in. It is certainly easy to implement.

Gert Molkens
Aug 14, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Agreed. About every VMS i've tried will find all/most of the IP cameras on a network so i indeed don't think it's hard to do. Quastions sstays, why doesn't anyone provide such a discovery tool. It would certainly speed up things in troubleshooting unknown installations

UM
Aug 14, 2016

Apart from the standard ONVIF discovery, upnp protocols..., I have always assumed the cameras also support undocumented protocols that their proprietary discovery tools use for discovering the cameras on different subnets. I am not sure if the camera manufactures publish those protocols. One could take a look using wireshark I suppose and reverse engineer them.

MM
Michael Miller
Aug 14, 2016

Advanced IP Scanner and others seam to fill this need. You can find all your cameras and all of the supporting devices with one tool.

Gert Molkens
Aug 14, 2016
IPVMU Certified

If they're in te same subnet and you filter out all non IP camera devices...

MM
Michael Miller
Aug 14, 2016

Advanced IP Scanner can scan multiple subnets at the same time.

MC
Marty Calhoun
Aug 14, 2016
IPVMU Certified

SADP works fine for me

(2)
UM
Aug 14, 2016

That's Hikvision only isn't it?

U
Undisclosed #2
Aug 14, 2016

If Marty is posting about it, you can rest assured it's related to Hikvision somehow.

(1)
(3)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Dec 07, 2019

We've created LANScanner for this kind of discovery. It will use HTTP & ONVIF to retrieve camera images. You can add up to 8 logins and can export to PDF and Excel. It will also tell you which switch and port a device plugs into as long as SNMP is enabled on the switch and they're in the same scan range.

LANScanner

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions