Subscriber Discussion

Run Wire Underground Without Trenching?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Mar 22, 2017

Anyone ever heard of digging/ putting cable overground without trenching? I vaguely recall seeing Comcast running cable this way.

They have some sort of machine that allows them to dig and navigate underground without breaking the topsoil.

I need to run fiber under some train tracks and I think this would really be the only option.

Your help would be greatly appreciated! 

UI
Mar 22, 2017

IPVM,

Can you please change the Title to "Underground wiring without trenching" ?

Thank you!

Brian Rhodes
Mar 22, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Directional Boring is an option:

You can essentially 'trench sideways' under obstacles, and rent small machines from heavy machinery rental places. Or a utility company may rent themselves out as a contractor for some types of work.

The downside: they aren't cheap, take skills and training to run, and may require extended pre-digging surveys from utility companies.

(1)
(1)
UI
Mar 22, 2017

Thanks for that Brian! I knew there was a way :)

Any idea wht why I might cost to have a company come out any do it for me? The span is roughly 100 feet. 

Very rough numbers a fine. 

Thanks!

Brian Rhodes
Mar 22, 2017
IPVMU Certified

If the soil isn't rocky, it is cheaper.

In my area, we basically have sandy clay, and it runs about $15/ft.  But those typically are non-union folks digging in uncrowded dirt.

(1)
UI
Mar 22, 2017

That's not bad at all. 

Any idea where I can find such a contractor?

Brian Rhodes
Mar 22, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I'd start by calling up utility companies operations management offices and asking for a referral for a sub or freelancing crew.

UI
Mar 22, 2017

Thank you Brian, I'll reach out to my local utilities as you suggested.

(And I'm sorry about the typos earlier... I was on a mobile phone)

Joseph Parker
Mar 23, 2017

Search the yellow pages for directional boring.

Brian Rhodes
Mar 23, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I'm not saying this is bad advice, but be careful picking specialized trades like this from the yellow pages.  In my experience it is better to go with an outfit that can be vouched for by a commercial customer.

In my area, searching for 'directional boring' returns the same name as the farmer who also does storm cellar install, brushhogging, and is a beekeeper.

Bless the farmers.  But that guy may not be the right one to dig under a railbed or carries insurance or understands the permit process.  :)

(1)
UI
Mar 23, 2017

Brian,

i reached out to my contact at my local cable provider and asked for a referral, he said he would inquire with his install team and get back to me.

I also googled directional boring companies in my area and made some calls. I'm waiting to hear back from them.

(1)
UE
Undisclosed End User #2
Mar 22, 2017

This may shed light and entertain as well:

what-its-like-to-have-the-fastest-internet-speeds-in-the-country

It is also a highly educational great article about open source enterprise grade router (i used frequently for creating vpn sessions and b/u internet), and will make many salivate over this guys "dedicated two gigabit line and a dedicated one gigabit line"

Michael Silva
Mar 22, 2017
Silva Consultants

If the railroad tracks are on a right-of-way owned by the railroad, you may also want to check to see if the railroad's permission is required to bore under their tracks.

(4)
(1)
James Brightman
Mar 23, 2017

Getting a railroad permit is a relatively long process. You will need to submit drawings that describe exactly what you are planning to do as well as what materials you will be using. If there is more than one railroad involved, you then get to work with two separate companies.

(5)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Mar 23, 2017

It was nice to see people speak up about access permits.  I had to get one to place an ariel cable across a small alley.  

It appears the local phone company had the right of way. The end user owned building on both sides and the cable spanned about 60' with 50' of road clearance. 

Permission denied. 

UI
Mar 23, 2017

UM3,

You should have just ran the cable. The worst case scenario would be the Telco cutting it down, but the chances of that happening is really slim.

keith maxwell
Mar 23, 2017
Northeast Remote Surveillance and alarm, LLC

Wireless why would you even think of a overhead cable these days? A 200.00 wireless Bridge will handle just about all you can feed through it.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Mar 23, 2017

I couldn't agree more, but this was not recent.

This cable was to pass a few technologies.  As stated, declined.  It would have cost over a hundred a month to lease the air space!

UI
Mar 23, 2017

Keith,

I disagree with you, no wireless is going to replace the reliability of a wired connection.

I personally have deployed more than a few different PtP options (namely: Cisco, Ruckus and Ubiquity Air fiber) and none have been flawless. For the most part they work great but when you have SQL databases or the likes that can't survive a brief network blip a wired connection always kicks wireless's a$$

My point being that wireless isn't always the right solution. In my case the reason that I need this underground boring done is for a business that has 2 buildings separated by 100 feet of open space but... railroad tracks happen to be running smack in the center. Both of these buildings have multiple offices and multiple terminals connecting to a SQL server tied back to the server room in building 2. A solid connection is vital to business continuity.

MM
Michael Miller
Mar 23, 2017

Have a look at Siklu for wireless links.   They have been rock solid for us from everything including backhauling +250Mps of video, backhauling WIFI traffic from a very large outdoor WIFI deployment (+7000 users) and connecting two buildings on a hospital campus (which is exactly what you described). If it is super critical you can add a failover backup PTP link. 

keith maxwell
Mar 23, 2017
Northeast Remote Surveillance and alarm, LLC

I feel your pain. I have a housing authority divided by a defunct rail road bed, management can not even get approval to cut the brush and weeds down. Air fiber has worked flawless for many years for running access control and cameras. Sometimes its easier to ask forgiveness than approval, the housing authority cut the brush and weeds and no one even noticed except for the homeless who were living in the jungle.. Sounds like you may need to duplicate systems or live on the edge. Good Luck

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions